Getting rid of XC40

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
senwar

Post by senwar »

I’ve had quite a few problems with mine to be honest but do really like the car. However if it had been purchased as opposed to leased it think I’d not be anywhere near as happy.

My disappointment comes more from the dealer. It’s in again for the sunroof next week.

But as I say I do love the car.
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels

PC40

Post by PC40 »

I’m going to agree with the last 3 posts. Had my car for 14 months and no problems or concerns. There is a clicking noise from beneath the dashboard, noticeable only if sitting in the car after switching the engine off. This is as the car shuts down, it’s not a problem.
I drove Subaru’s for 19 years prior to buying the Volvo, not luxury finishes but certainly screwed together properly so I’m not used to unwelcome noises. My Volvo doesn’t rattle or squeak, drives well and I’m very pleased with it.
Not all Transits are noisy, depends what’s in them and how there loaded.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
stu22

Post by stu22 »

With regards to VW, our Tiguan has been perfect since day 1 in 2017 despite my wife attempting to demolish our garage with the front of it!
It goes in about 4 weeks time when the XC40 should arrive having covered circa 17000 miles, only reason its being changed to an alternate brand is that my wife gets bored with cars after a few years and she has always said that the Tig was a bit 'utilitarian' and likes the style of the XC40.

Me personally, Id have probably taken a top spec R-Line Tig or an XC60 but as my wife uses the car 95% of the time I go with her choice.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I fancied a Tiguan 2.0 petrol to replace the Yeti (having had many VAG cars on the trot) but didn't pursue it as thought it would be too big for my wife to drive. And have ended up with something as big if not bigger! The height and shape of the XC40 bonnet certainly makes it feel big.

With the Tiguan I didn't really want 4WD, though could live with it, but the deal breaker is the questionable reliability of the DSG "auto" gear box as we are probably going to keep it beyond the manufacturers warranty.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
stu22

Post by stu22 »

ChrisLF wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:11 pm With the Tiguan I didn't really want 4WD, though could live with it, but the deal breaker is the questionable reliability of the DSG "auto" gear box as we are probably going to keep it beyond the manufacturers warranty.
No getting away from it, the Tig is a decent car. We only opted for 2WD and a manual box as my wife refuses to drive an auto, much to my disgust!
We only keep our cars a max of 3 years so warranty takes care should there be any issues.
michael123

Post by michael123 »

I don't understand - didn't you have a test drive before?
Yes, the car bit noisy, it is written in every review as well
Blue Velvet

Post by Blue Velvet »

Hi Rubbish,
I can see clearly why you’re dismayed 😩!
My Momento Pro D3 Red with Blonde interior, which I took delivery of in March 19.
Have you contacted the dealership with regards to your experiences? Since buying mine, any new experiences are reported straight away.
I had mine picked up and returned today because the lane mitigation device keeps triggering even though am not veering off the lane. They think my dash cam is the culprit as the magnet interferes with all those technology on the windshield.
I have heard the similar rattling noise from underneath the bonnet when the engine is switched off.
I have also had the alarm triggered when the bin collection truck wizzes by every Wednesday. However, Volvo on Call were always quick to call me to verify. Annoying! I wonder if other owners have the same experiences.
Collision warning device activates with nothing in the way or does so after driving past parked vehicles.
I know how infuriating it feels as I end up comparing XC40 to my previous car: Honda HRV se.
Speak to your dealership and don’t let them fob you off.
Momentum Pro D3
Red Fusion ;)
XC40_Owner

Post by XC40_Owner »

Had my XC40 for less than a year, from day one everything rattled and the car had noises from the dash and center console. Took the car back to the dealer and they had it for 3 weeks, removed the dash and put it back together and the noise is still there. Can't wait to sell this car, my wife drives an 2018 XC90 and we don't have any issues with it but the XC40 seems like its falling apart every time I drive it on a perfectly paved road. I went over a small speed bump and the light above the rear seats pop out. The only thing that really bothers me is the dash noise as its very loud. Will never buy another Volvo again, if you are looking at a Volvo I would advise you to strongly reconsider.
gt40

Post by gt40 »

XC40_Owner wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:30 pm Will never buy another Volvo again, if you are looking at a Volvo I would advise you to strongly reconsider.
In the context of Volvo selling 50,000 cars in the UK in 2018, a few disgruntled buyers on here are not sufficient to dissuade me.
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19
bdalameda

Post by bdalameda »

I don't know what happened to your car when they put it together - I have had my R-design now for 5 months - no rattles or squeeks at all - very solid over rough roads - the build quality is superb - flawless paint - interior, trim etc. tight - nothing loose - the only defect I found on the car was that under the drivers seat an elastic strap with a hook to secure the upholstery was not connected. I simply snapped it in place and it was fixed. Knock on wood -so far the car has exceeded my expectations.