Getting rid of XC40

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Rubbish

Post by Rubbish »

Just a note to say after 11 weeks of ownership I am going back to VW.
The vehicle I have has more noises than a Transit van, has a lot of road noise, creaks and groans, and the following:
Alarm goes off on Auto start.
Alarm goes off if any heavy vehicle or train passes when parked(200 metres away).
Pinholes in paintwork in a couple of places.
5 chips in paintwork on offside rear passenger door(at door hinge point).
Noise from seat belt/door position drivers door (thumping sound).
Annoying engine "rattle" when engine stops on Auto start.
Annoying loud "clicking" noise from under dash, similar to indicator noise but not repetitive like the indicator, just one loud,sometimes up to three sounds. May be caused by the locking mechanism in the glove box as its hanging loose.
Parcel shelf "drum roll on any(UK) road as they all have potholes/sunken drains/raised drains/uneven road surfaces. Why pay road tax???
Parcel shelf to lightweight and has rubber mounts(2) causes this.

For £37k expected better quality, so bye bye Volvo

Forgot to add, Grey R line/ D4 AWD/Winter pack/Heated seats/1350 miles
Last edited by Rubbish on Thu May 30, 2019 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Goldfish

Post by Goldfish »

May I ask what trim & engine model you had got? Any addition options fitted to this car?
Thank you in advance.
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Concerning as we are soon moving from a 2017 Tiguan to an XC40!
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

stu22 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:25 am Concerning as we are soon moving from a 2017 Tiguan to an XC40!
Although you may see many negative comments in these forums regarding the XC40 I suspect that they represent a very small proportion compared with those of us have experienced none of these problems and who have been more than happy with their purchase.
I’m not doubting that the various problems we see reported here exist or that the owners are very annoyed that their cars don’t meet their expectations, I’m just saying that you shouldn’t let them put you off buying what In my experience is an excellent car.
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Rubbish

Post by Rubbish »

I do believe that this has the makings of a good car.
However, if the XC60/90 are built better quality wise, how come mine (and others on the Web) are not to the same standard?
As for excellent - I would be more cautious using that as a declaration, especially after a 7 month wait.

As for Tiguan to XC40, either stick with All wheel drive Tiguan or up to a XC60
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

I gave up on a Tiguan after being messed about horrendously by VW.

I originally wanted the Tiguan over the XC40 mainly for: Huge discounts; fold-flat front passenger seat; & less reliance on touch screen.

I also, at the time, thought the XC40 had build quality issues (based on very careful examination of a showroom model). I have now revised my thinking to it being less of a general build quality issue (as many I've seen since, including mine, have superb build quality) and more of a quality control thing as a few 'Friday afternoon' cars seem to slip through. The optimist in me says things will continue to improve, now that the production bottlenecks have been resolved.

I wish you all the best with the Tiguan but: they're not immune to problems; current model is in its twighlight years; & there are some dreadful VW dealers out there.

Edit: Apologies for assumption. Just realised you said you were going back to VW - no idea if that meant a Tiguan or something else.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
Rubbish

Post by Rubbish »

Silver moose,
Going back to VW Passat.
Top of the range plus cash back.My 4th one so know what I’m getting. Not a Transit van with windows
Bob

Post by Bob »

It's a shame that a few owners are having issues.

I've had my First Edition T5 since October, and so far I am very pleased with it, I will admit I was nervous switching from Audi after 15 years (3 A3s and 1 Q3), but I find the quality of the XC40 on a par.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
morrishey

Post by morrishey »

My experience is the same as Bob’s.

Love my T5 FE, no problems with it, as it stands I’d be happy to keep it for years beyond the PCP period.

It’s a shame there are obviously some cars with issues out there, but that’s going to be case with most, if not all, manufacturers. I’d be surprised to find a car forum without some kind of bad experiences being reported.
XC40 T5 FE, Fusion Red, 20inch wheels.
Ordered 15th March. Delivery, originally June, delivered 26th October.
Michaelxc40

Post by Michaelxc40 »

I agree with the last 2 posts
All car manufacturers have Friday afternoon cars, I know from experience. I bought one of the first Jaguar F paces collected it from the factory and after a few months of issues rejected it. I then bought the new Peugeot 3008, again after numerous issues, I rejected it as well.
I have now had my 1st edition T5 just over a year and had no issues to date, hopefully 3rd time lucky.
T5 First edition Crystal White