Wheels for Momentum T4

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Happningj wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:28 pm I’ve recently driven an inscription (18”) and inscription pro (19”) back to back and the 18’s have less road noise (but don’t look as good). The ride is fairly similar. Trouble is I’m now torn between an inscription and an R-Design because the 18” wheels look so much nicer on the R-Design
I quite agree. Having test-driven a variety of vehicles before settling on the Volvo, I think the ride quality thing is overplayed. Tyre roar, however, is invariably an issue. I couldn't resist the Pro but, would still rather have nice-looking 18s.

Self-professed audiophiles shouldn't even consider 20s ;)
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera

drjamesr

Post by drjamesr »

because the 18” wheels look so much nicer on the R-Design
The disadvantages of tyre roar etc will be there for the life of the car, while the aesthetics of the wheel design will have long left the consciousness. I have 19” # 924 that came as a free as a dealer fit on a demo car. On a new smooth hot rolled tarmac road they are impressively silent at speed. On other surfaces such as the rougher motorway large aggregate tarmac or sections of concrete/expansion joints it is mile after mile of the noisiest car I have ever had.
XC40 Inscription, D4 AWD, Pine Grey, black leather faced, 19” double spoke #924, Xenium, Intellisense surround, Winter/Htd wheel, Spare wheel
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Indeed, how often does anyone stare at their wheel to wheel-arch ratio while driving?
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
stu22

Post by stu22 »

We test drove several variants and even my wife noted how bad road noise was from the car on 20" wheels.
Must admit the car does sit far nicer on the 20" but with the noise and increased risk of kerbing we stuck with the standard 18" rim.
millview

Post by millview »

So, a lot of views on wheel size and road noise. In a vaguely scientific way, I measured the noise from my other half's Rdesign pro (20 inch wheels) as she drove along the A1 yesterday. Took two measurements, each for several minutes, on a stretch with noisy tarmac and one where the road appeared to be much quieter. The first average reading was 73 decibels. The second was 72 decibels.
michael123

Post by michael123 »

I eventually opted for 19" set
https://accessories.volvocars.com/en-il ... 15952/2020

I am waiting for XC40 since April, last week decided to upgrade to R-Design, but rejected as the factory deadline passed, and my car has custom add-ons like Harman-Kardon and 360 degree camera.

So then the dealer came with the option of the wheels and the Skid plate kit to make the car bit fancier
sunnydays

Post by sunnydays »

Will keep in mind as ride comfort is my main request :D
morrsn

Post by morrsn »

millview wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:17 pm So, a lot of views on wheel size and road noise. In a vaguely scientific way, I measured the noise from my other half's Rdesign pro (20 inch wheels) as she drove along the A1 yesterday. Took two measurements, each for several minutes, on a stretch with noisy tarmac and one where the road appeared to be much quieter. The first average reading was 73 decibels. The second was 72 decibels.
So did that dB made a noticeable difference? Been seriously thinking about switching my almost new pzeros for some hankook evo2’s since it appears to be a couple dBs lower according to the tires web page.

I don’t mind the noise when riding solo, I just crank up the volume but it’s quite embarrassing with passengers when going over 100 kmh on noisy tarmac lol

Ride quality is fine. Firm but not jarring.