XC40 Test Drive

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

T5 on 20”
Sold on it. Very impressed.
Good driving position.
Rear view okay - despite large c-pillars. As mentioned above helped by large wing mirrors. Reversing a breeze with the assistance from 360 camera.
Automatic such an improvement over previous Volvo boxes. Smooth and not too much lag when putting foot down.
The T5 is reasonably pokey on acceleration (I can live with it).
Generally handling very smooth. Steering perhaps a little light (I forgot to try modes) but makes for comfortable/easy driving.
Motorway speed- quite a bit of road noise from tyres!! But not too much from bodywork.
Around town/rough roads - handles these generally smoothly. Now not worried about 20" wheels.
There is the Volvo “wallow” under all conditions - but this is an SUV!!

We love it and would buy one. Hey we have!!
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18

wakey

Post by wakey »

Just back from test driving the D4 First Edition in white with 20” wheels:

Steering VERY light (and appeared to stay that way in Dynamic mode (sport) although didn’t get much chance to go very fast so maybe it hardens then?

Noted that the A with circle around button is auto handbrake and not auto stop like on my V40 (I wondered why the engine kept stopping when this button was deactivated 😳).

Driving modes can be selected via a button below the screen (so no sport mode on the gear stick now).

Selecting the camera/park in and out is a bit of a faff and could be a pain when using it to park on a busy road/car park. An easier method is probably possible but didn’t get time to investigate.

Very comfortable to drive and good visibility, responsive gearbox and pretty nippy off the mark.

Outstanding sound system (although the dealers choice of tunes was questionable 😂)

Nice to be able to open the panoramic roof (unlike my V40 where you can only open the electric blind).

In summary, a lovely car and can’t wait until ours arrives mid March (ordered 1st week in Jan).

My dealer as sold 20 odd and took an order today for the last FE (with no 20” wheels or headlight washers).

Was very busy today and there was an audience waiting when we got back from the test drive.
Black (inside and out) XC40 First Edition D4, 20” Wheels and a dog grille :D Collection Saturday 7th April (ordered 6th January).
senwar

Post by senwar »

^^ Good write up, thanks a lot.

I still can't get my head around running out of 20's and the headlight washers!

Hopefully going to drive one myself in next week or two. Has anyone driven a current D4 XC60 and then tested the 40?
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

wakey wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:37 pm Steering VERY light (and appeared to stay that way in Dynamic mode (sport) although didn’t get much chance to go very fast so maybe it hardens then?
Wakey, yes definitely light. I was struck when I got back in my car, and how comforting it was to have "heavier" steering. Driving the XC is likely to feel a bit remote, if easy.

In the test drive I was able to get up to motorway speeds and the steering does seem to become stiffer, or perhaps it was as one is making smaller adjustments it is not so noticable (I forgot to try out the other modes!). Also my first time with lane assist - now that is weird and will take a little time to get used to. Snapped me back in lane pretty quickly - although passengers didn't notice.
Zippy99

Post by Zippy99 »

pjm007 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:41 pm Test drive completed. A D4 Auto with the 20” wheels. Around 30 mins over ordinary suburban roads. No motorway option. Very pleased with the ride. It could be described as slightly “wallowy” but in a very comfortable/safe sense. It rode well over potholes and other bumps in the road. Tried both Comfort and Dynamic modes but couldn’t really feel much difference given the route I had to use. Certainly felt “nippy” in terms of acceleration through the lower gears. Smooth gear changes.
Had my test drive in. D4 this morning in Kent, agree totally about the wallow and noticed it straight away. Not sure about the wheel size on the one I was test driving, could live with it though and went down a couple of fast carriageways (my mistake as took the wrong road) and had a further drive along some scenic country roads. Car accelerates well and brakes very sharply. My only regret was not resetting the MPG reading as when I got in, it stated the car had a range of 320, but was averaging 20mpg. I did my bit though and when I left it, I had got it up to 20.6mpg. Must admit I wasn’t impressed to see such a low figure being returned, but understand it’s new and probably done a number of short demo trips and will improve over time (by comparison my 2.9 litre Merc E Class Diesel Estate engine will return anything from 22mpg running around locally and up to 41 mpg on a run with the average return being around 35mpg).
On my return to the dealer I used the auto park function to get in between two Volvos. The XC40 identified the space as we drove slowly past the showroom which wasn't much bigger than the car, I’ve never ever felt so nervous about parallel parking as I did using this function as the car took over and as a first time user found the experience unsettling to say the least but very satisfying on seeing the car position itself with a little aid from me on the accelerator, brake and auto shift.

After the test drive I had a chat about FEs and the sales guy was saying that a meeting was supposedly being held today as to whether more FEs were going to be made available. Time will tell I suppose!
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

I am sure I read some where the parallel park only needs a space 2 ft longer than the car itself. Now given the size (width and length) of the car that for me is really impressive. I guess it is helped by the "shorter" wheel base.
jd40

Post by jd40 »

Had my test drive today at Hillington,Glasgow. Very impressed with all aspects of the car. Didn't find the light steering a problem and the 20 inch wheels appeared to have no adverse effect on the drive. Looking forward to delivery mid March.
XC40 T5 First Edition, 20inch wheels, fusion red, charcoal
Stockholmsyndrome

Post by Stockholmsyndrome »

I drove one last Sunday... impressed. Engine noise in the D4 quite a bit louder than our X3. However pretty nimble I thought and quick to respond. Certainly no slouch.

I can foresee a few teething issues to start with using the knock on gear selector after years of actually moving into D or R or N. But sure it won't take long.
Stockholmsyndrome

Post by Stockholmsyndrome »

With regard the light steering... just a thought but on my S3 I can set up an individual driving mode. So I have sporty exhaust, sporty (heavy) steering but auto gear shifts (so it doesn't red line between shifts and switch off start stop as it does in Sport mode)

Volvo dealer told me XC40 has an individual mode too, where it's possible to alter set up. Now if dynamic or whatever Volvo call sport, steering is heavier... Might be a solution?
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Good thought but I think might be limited functionality. Page 415 of the owners manual seems to suggest only three settings for the steering!?