XC40 Test Drive

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
senwar

Post by senwar »

Had my test this morning, D4. Very impressed and enjoyed the steering. A bit slow in initial acceleration even on dynamic but livable. The cabin for a lot better than I remembered and it’s nice and airy with the roof blind open.

Was surprised at how high the seating position felt on the road. Didn’t notice it as much when sat in the showroom. That’s a good thing though.

6 week still I get mine and it will be a long 6 weeks now.
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels

Bob

Post by Bob »

I had a test drive of the T5 today. I enjoyed it very much.

I tried out two of the driving modes, I can't remember the names of them now, but one was more for just steady driving the other was more sporty.
In the Sporty mode it was very quick off the mark, and it held on to each gear much longer before changing up, the gear changes were quite noticeable, more because of the higher revs before changing.
Whereas in the more steady driving mode it still set off from standing at a good pace and, of course, the gear changes occurred at much lower revs. In this mode the drive was much smoother and the gear changes were barely noticeable.
I love how you can change gear with the paddles in the 'Normal' Drive mode without having to go into M+ mode.

I found the steering to be just right for me, nicely balanced, not too light, or too heavy.

The Adaptive Cruise Control was very nice, though it did get a little too close to the vehicle in front for my liking, though the salesman told me later that it can be adjusted.

The 360 degree camera is a great feature, my wife asked how it worked so I had to explain that one.

Pulling over in a layby to check out the various features available, I found the menu system very easy to use, and intuitive. It wouldn't take long to become familiar with how everything worked and how to adjust, or switch on/off, the multitude of features.

Overall, it is a lovely car to drive. I purposefully took it down a very windy, hilly, and pothole infested road for a few miles to see how it handled. It was very impressive, the ride was very smooth without any noticeable wallowing on the bends.

I am now very much looking forward to mine arriving. Hopefully I'll get an approximate date in the next few days.

Apparently Volvo are keeping open the order books for the FE for this week only, so if anyone wants one they'll have to be quick. The salesman also thought that the MY19 FE would be available with 20" wheels and with headlight washers, but this is yet to be confirmed.

Bob
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)