First Volvo, my XC40

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Mike Oxlong

Post by Mike Oxlong »

jamie307 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:23 am
Father Xc40 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:43 pm Here in the UK my MY2020 XC40 came complete with DAB, FM and AM radio.

I haven't tried FM or AM and suspect I never will.
The DAB eats a lot of battery so FM/AM is useful if you're sat parked for a loooong time.
This is just scaremongering to fill a post on a forum with drivel.

I've been driving with DAB for over 10 years and have never had the need to use FM.

There's a slight difference in battery use due to the DAB processing requirement. But certainly nothing to broadcast (forgive the pun) about.

Using DAB is fine, no need to switch to other radio methods when parked up.

VeeTee55

Post by VeeTee55 »

The rollout of digital radio in the rural areas of Australia has been quite slow, so AM and FM still dominate out in the regions. I don't know what the program is for the eventual elimination of AM, but it still plays a big part in emergency warnings when fire or flood has affected phone and internet access, so I suspect it will be with us for a while yet. Digital works OK in Sydney but I get annoyed at the dropouts in valleys and sometimes near large buildings; maybe we haven't invested in enough towers. Volvo should have simply left AM radios in their Australian-spec cars.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Father Xc40 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:43 pm Here in the UK my MY2020 XC40 came complete with DAB, FM and AM radio.

The DAB eats a lot of battery so FM/AM is useful if you're sat parked for a loooong time.
Let me guess you don’t want electric windows because it’s more to go wrong!
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Proud Member

Post by Proud Member »

Chris John wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:03 pm

The trick is never to use your windows whether they are electrical or mechanical. That way they will never go wrong, such as getting stuck.

It's simple to open a door, but make sure it's the same door each time, there's no need to wear out all the hinges.
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

Chris John wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:03 pm [snip]
On the DAB issue... Two sides to every coin.
DAB does use several times more juice than FM to convert the radio signal to audio. Evidenced by portable radios quoting typically 2-4 times the stamina for playing FM vs DAB.
BUT... that power consumption is small compared to the power used to run the amp/speakers. And so irellevant. Even more so when the power source is a car battery, not a pair of AA batteries.

Addressing your point, I'm prepared to accept electric windows, although they are an unnecessary extra thing to go wrong. Turning a mechanical handle isn't hard, and removes a bunch of components and failure points.

I'm exasperated that the rear seat head restraints are only foldable (granting much improved rear vision) with the electric option.
My pal with an XC90 is exasperated that his glove box has to be opened electrically.

Part of this is down to manufacturers in an endless arms race to provide more and more features, even if they're not needed or wanted.
MY2020 R-Design
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

DanishPastry wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:28 pm
Chris John wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:03 pm [snip]
On the DAB issue... Two sides to every coin.
DAB does use several times more juice than FM to convert the radio signal to audio. Evidenced by portable radios quoting typically 2-4 times the stamina for playing FM vs DAB.
BUT... that power consumption is small compared to the power used to run the amp/speakers. And so irellevant. Even more so when the power source is a car battery, not a pair of AA batteries.

Addressing your point, I'm prepared to accept electric windows, although they are an unnecessary extra thing to go wrong. Turning a mechanical handle isn't hard, and removes a bunch of components and failure points.

I'm exasperated that the rear seat head restraints are only foldable (granting much improved rear vision) with the electric option.
My pal with an XC90 is exasperated that his glove box has to be opened electrically.

Part of this is down to manufacturers in an endless arms race to provide more and more features, even if they're not needed or wanted.
Ummmm.......I was being sarcastic!
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

I sort of spotted that... :-) But...

Thought a response was needed to Mike Oxlong's abrasive response to jamie307's comment about DAB eating battery.

Also, I do actually believe what I said about proliferation of unnecessary gadgets.
Mostly the marketing team dreaming up things to put on next year's Product Release, not what drivers have asked for?
MY2020 R-Design
Muted

Post by Muted »

DanishPastry wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:34 pm I sort of spotted that... :-) But...

Thought a response was needed to Mike Oxlong's abrasive response to jamie307's comment about DAB eating battery....
Mike Oxlong ?

I bet mine's longer 😀