Genuine Volvo GAP insurance + other stuff

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Deleted User 1945

Post by Deleted User 1945 »

Hi All,

Having ordered my new XC40 I have to option of taking out the GAP insurance from Volvo - Its £399 for 48 months - I have no idea if this is a good deal or not? Anyone else taken this or have you gone with another company?

Also I'd appreciate any advice anyone might have have paint protection/fabric cover or dent insurance - anyone have these - with the scratch/ dent insurance anyone have examples where it has actually been worth it?

Cheers,

Greg

iainrelliott

Post by iainrelliott »

Hi Greg

Check out this other thread.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=988&p=8806&hilit=Gap#p8806

If your insurance policy provides new for old for the first year, there may be no need to take out GAP insurance for the first year, this reducing your cost.

As for paint protection, I didn’t take any. I’ve had Supaguard on other cars and it’s not worth it. I see others on the forum getting professional valets to put a ceramic paint protection on after purchase which I’d say is a better investment. There are lots on the market.
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Post by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX »

Hi.
Just to let you know that we offer a product called Total Loss Protection. Whilst it's not exactly the same as your traditional GAP insurance we feel for some customers it can offer a cost effective alternative.
Please feel free to take a look if you wish.
https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/extras/total-loss/
Regards.
Dan.
Deleted User 1894

Post by Deleted User 1894 »

The paint protection is a waste of money, and you'll be vastly overcharged for it. You can pick them up on eBay cheaply, but a far better option would be to get a professional detailer to weave their magic, both inside and out.

Dent insurance will have so many exclusions and provisos that it's not worth the expense. Likewise tyre/wheel insurance and anything else the dealer tries to push your way.

As for GAP cover, check out www.ala.co.uk, and use the code "PISTON12" to get a nice discount.
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

Don't waste your money on these insurance products.
morrishey

Post by morrishey »

As ianrelliot says above, most of what you're looking for is in the thread he's linked. My gap through directgap.co.uk was £289 for 4 years. Speak with your Volvo dealer and try and get them to get their price down. I managed to get VW dealer to price match when we brought my wife's car recently.

As for what ACertainAge says, as with any insurance it's only useful if you need it. I wonder if he bothers with fully comprehensive insurance or is it a waste of money to do anything more than TPFT? If spending £289 now saves me £10,000 or whatever if my car gets written off, then I'd feel it a wise investment for about 0.75% of the purchase cost.
XC40 T5 FE, Fusion Red, 20inch wheels.
Ordered 15th March. Delivery, originally June, delivered 26th October.
Deleted User 1945

Post by Deleted User 1945 »

Thanks for the replies so far - another quick question has anyone used the Volvo insurance either the free driveway or them for full insurance - I notice you have to go direct to get a quote rather than through a comparison site, but wondering if they are any good?
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

AnotherXC40 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:41 pm Thanks for the replies so far - another quick question has anyone used the Volvo insurance either the free driveway or them for full insurance - I notice you have to go direct to get a quote rather than through a comparison site, but wondering if they are any good?
They are incredibly expensive, my quote was 3x the amount I pay with LV!
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
aj05

Post by aj05 »

I think Volvo insurance are now run by a different insurance company, they have become increasingly expensive and after using them for many years I found they were increasing premiums without any explanation, last year was the last straw with an increase of about £100 and a take it or leave it attitude when I queried it. I left and went to Adrian Flux who found a premium which returned to what I was paying about three years ago with better benefits
Deleted User 1894

Post by Deleted User 1894 »

Be careful when buying GAP, as some policies won't cover you if the price of your car increases in the meantime, such as with inflation or any post-Brexit price increases. So if your car costs £42K when you buy it, but it gets totalled after two years and would cost £44K to replace, you'll need to find another £2K.

Some providers offer an additional type of policy that covers this shortfall. Obviously it costs a bit more.