Thoughts most welcome, potential new owner...

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
sunscreemer

Post by sunscreemer »

Hi there,

I currently own an Audi S3 Sportback and along with another S3 (maybe saloon version) i'm considering a Mercedes A35 or an XC40 T5 as my next car. I love the design of the XC40 so it's edging it right now. I just wanted to know what people thought of the positives and negatives of the car in general and the model/specification elements i'm considering:-

XC40 R-Design Pro T5 in Bursting Blue with Convenience pack, Intellisafe pro, Winter Plus Pack, Xenium Pack, Active Four-C Chassis, Smartphone integration & wireless charging, Sensus connect with Premium Sound & Polestar Performance Software.

I guess i would like to know particularly what the power delivery is like? Has anyone else gone to a T5 following a 300BHP car?
What sort of average fuel economy are people seeing from this T5 engine? I've heard the first 3,000 miles or so are poor and then it gets a lot better? (i've a near 34mpg lifetime average from my S3 after 40k).

Anything else, i'd love to hear it...!

Thanks,

Mark

johnd

Post by johnd »

I can't contribute anything specific on the T5 since the XC40 is just something on my shortlist that I'm considering at present. There are things about it that I don't like, which is why I haven't taken the plunge yet, but suspect I could readily live with the performance aspect of T5+Polestar.

The reason for being positive about the performance is that so much on-paper assessment seems to be based on 0-60 times and BHP. But really I'm not interested in traffic light grands prix but in mid-range overtaking to make progress on all the busy but single carriageway A & B roads that are mostly what I have to live with hereabouts. What I'd much rather see to make a judgement are eg 30-70 times in dynamic mode, but such figures are few and far between. But even though the BHP sticks around 250ish with P*, torque is up to 400Nm and this (along with the improved gearbox map) is what gives me more confidence that mid-range acceleration would be comfortably good.
elysio

Post by elysio »

I have a T5 momentum, which I believe should have the same engine and transmission setup by default unless you go for P*? It's quick, more than enough for average driving on or off highway, passing cars, etc. But I would say it's not as sporty/quick as an S3 (never drove an A35), I think the fact that S3 has the dual clutch (my fav transmission to date) already makes it quicker than the XC40 ignoring all other factors. R-Design does have stiffer suspension, so maybe you can get some sense of sportiness that my Momentum doesn't?

As for fuel economy, I have roof bars and drive about 80/20 city/hwy, and on average I get 10L/100km.
Hes

Post by Hes »

The biggest thing you’ll notice is the handling/body roll. It’s a 4x4 and doesn’t hide it well.

The T5 P* performance is quick, it puts a smile on your face (in dynamic mode) but don’t expect 35mpg, I average 25mpg with 95% comfort mode and 60% motorway mileage

Why do you want a 4x4?
mss911

Post by mss911 »

IMHO - I think the key aspect for you will be the automatic gearbox on the T5. Some see it as one of the very few weak spots of the car. It can be a little unresponsive / slow to change down when compared to more sportier focused brands (our other motor does hail from Stuttgart) - although the downside with these is a loss in overall smoothness when you are not pushing very hard & can be a bit intrusive. The Polestar upgrade does quicken/sharpen the changes up in all mode - it kicks down quicker & gives you the feeling its progressing much quicker mid range. One niggle I found the car a little nosier as a result (but not enough for us to cancel during the 14 day cool down period).

I don't think the stats are going to help you here really & would recommend finding a dealer who's gonna let you test the aspects that are important to you e.g. checking that kick down proper.

The MPG achievable appears to be a real conundrum, there's a separate thread here already on this but you are a better person than me if you can derive any absolute conclusions on how / if the T5 can get to the published figures or not. Personally after 8k miles we are at 29-31 mpg most driving is urban but I think this is down to driving style / how much effort you are going to put in.

We love the car - it makes great progress, eats up the miles on the A & B roads, very comfortable, stylish & practical.

Good luck & enjoy your search / decision!
sunscreemer

Post by sunscreemer »

Thanks for the replies so far. In response to some comments...

I hadn’t realised to Polestar optimisation was so effective, I thought it was just a sharpening up of a few aspect such as the auto box performance etc (I checked the list on the Polestar website following the above comment). Hopefully this would mean I don’t notice such a huge change from my current DSG box. I did hear the Volvo uses the same gearbox that BMW use in the 3 series which I used to have (8AT ZF I believe?).

I could only test a T4 as no T5 demonstrators available but even on a limited test route I didn’t think the body roll was particularly significant. As for why I want a 4x4 I want all wheel drive as I like the year round sure footedness it provides. I do live in an area where I often have some tricky minor roads to negotiate in the wet or the cold, plus travel with work. As for the SUV style vehicle I like the ride height and to be honest I just particularly love the looks of the XC40. I also like the practicality and I think it’d be easier to get in and out of for passengers than a low down ‘hot’ hatch or saloon car. I don’t boot my S3 around all the time, I just like to have the power when I need it (so not really at the traffic lights, but more for entering motorways, quick overtakes on A roads etc.

As for mpg I was just wondering if I could get over 30mpg average as it’s a less powerful engine than the S3 but in a heavier less aerodynamic vehicle. If through ‘normal’ driving I got a little over 20mpg that would not be good. I don’t mind a huge drop if I want some fun but through normal driving I like to get a reasonable mpg (30+ IMO).
johnd

Post by johnd »

sunscreemer wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:08 pm I did hear the Volvo uses the same gearbox that BMW use in the 3 series which I used to have (8AT ZF I believe?).
Are you sure that it's not the Aisin AWF8F35? (Which is apparently used in BMW X1 and X2.)
sunscreemer

Post by sunscreemer »

ZF 8HP gearbox in my F30 3 series.
johnd

Post by johnd »

sunscreemer wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:34 pm ZF 8HP gearbox in my F30 3 series.
Sorry, I meant in the XC40,
AndyP

Post by AndyP »

I have just sold my T5 FE after 6 months and just under 7000 miles:

Good stuff:
- car looks fantastic and is the best looking car in its class
- interior layout is good and the infotainment screen is large and clear
- lots of technology fitted as standard used the adaptive cruise a lot and it works exceptionally well making driving very easy
- the T5 engine is responsive and good on A, B and motorways and has extra for overtaking

The things I didn’t like
- gearbox is slow to respond and can grab a bit ( I am used to Stuttgart PDK boxes and this is no where near as good)
- although interior is well thought out some of the surfaces feel cheap and not as well put together as German cars remembering this is a 40k car
- there is a judder between 70 and 80 see thread elsewhere on forum
- the seat bolsters have already started to deform after only 6 months
- mpg (see other threads) over nearly 7k mikes we achieved an average of 38mpg. Got some good numbers out on a run 35 plus but while different story with urban driving way below 20mpg

So inclusion I liked the car but not enough to keep it and when dealer bought it back for what I paid for it I didn’t hesitate to let the car go back.

On the hunt for a replacement likely to be a German car probably from Stuttgart with a fantastic gearbox 👍
T5 FE Bursting Blue 19” Wheels plus Towbar