Thoughts most welcome, potential new owner...

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Deleted User 1945

Post by Deleted User 1945 »

Is the auto box in the XC40 T4/5 the 8 speed AT or the 7 speed DCT?

bdalameda

Post by bdalameda »

8 speed Aisin - Same gearbox that BMW and Landrover, Mini use.
Deleted User 1945

bdalameda wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:35 pm 8 speed Aisin - Same gearbox that BMW and Landrover, Mini use.
I think your correct about Aisin and Volvo, but all BMW/MINI/Landrover Transmissions are from the ZF 8HPXX product range, there is a huge difference in drivability between budget AiSin and Premium ZF. That said the Aisin in the Volvo does work well.
bdalameda

Post by bdalameda »

Here is the info for the XC40 transmission and the other cars it is used in including BMW, Mini, Lexus - Different numbers used by different car manufacturers but the transmissions are basically the same with different programming.

See link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWF8F35
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I've got a T4 R design and it drives like a dream. For me the T4 is more than enough power. The auto gearbox makes the car divine to drive.

Just did a holiday up in the hills. Averaged just over 40mpg on the way to Yorkshire and overall averaged 36mpg for the whole holiday. Usued eco mode on main journeys but comfort mode on the hills.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
johnd

Post by johnd »

AnotherXC40 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:38 pm ... but all BMW/MINI/Landrover Transmissions are from the ZF 8HPXX product range,
But they aren't are they? eg all current BMW X1 and X2 apparently use exactly the same Aisin box as the XC40. And many other quality models use related Aisin boxes so I'm not sure that Aisin=budget while ZF=premium really holds water.

Aisin also seems part-owned by Toyota and heavily involved with Toyota development projects - a reasonable pedigree, on a par with say VW group and probably ahead of them in the reliability stakes.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Agreed. X1 only used ZF on RWD, FWD is Aisin.

Don't think Mini has ever had ZF. In fact, it's never had a torque converter until the 3 most torquey models had the Aisin fitted - previously CVT, then DCT.

Aisin box is beautifully smooth & I've yet to hear of one failing.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
Deleted User 1945

johnd wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:15 am
AnotherXC40 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:38 pm ... but all BMW/MINI/Landrover Transmissions are from the ZF 8HPXX product range,
But they aren't are they? eg all current BMW X1 and X2 apparently use exactly the same Aisin box as the XC40. And many other quality models use related Aisin boxes so I'm not sure that Aisin=budget while ZF=premium really holds water.

Aisin also seems part-owned by Toyota and heavily involved with Toyota development projects - a reasonable pedigree, on a par with say VW group and probably ahead of them in the reliability stakes.
Your correct (partially) - I hadn't realised BMW had been using them in the X1, they are not used across the board as it appears to be the FWD entry level engine choice on the X1 and X2 - the more powerful engines and the sport versions get ZF's 7 speed DCT. Why would BMW offer a different Automatic transmission if the Asin was up to the task?

I think the transmission works fine in the Volvo, but the ride and performance would be improved if it was with the ZF product in my opinion.