Did anyone here installed CarCam?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
michael123

Post by michael123 »

Hello

Thanks to this forum, saw a link here to Volvo dashcam
https://www.carcam.nl/product/volvo-dual-dashcam/

Did anyone install it and could share the experience?

I did not get my XC40 yet so I plan to buy it before and have it fitted by Volvo dealer,
but I wonder about
- complexity. Should I opt for single camera instead of dual setup?
- quality and reliability.

I see here that the rating is high
https://www.kiyoh.nl/carcam_nl/
but the camera shipment may suffer from some quality issues.

-- Michael

Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

No direct experience but, what I will say, is that the Intellisafe cover is already fairly intrusive within the XC40.

Having that camera mounted there would annoy the hell out of me, not to mention potentially illegal under UK rules.

Because of the size of the Intellisafe box (& also giving consideration to potential interference) I have a small Garmin unit on the passenger side with lens just inside swept area.

I would suggest you try sitting in a XC40, with your preferred seat position, to see if you could feel comfortable with this camera fitted.
Last edited by Silver Moose on Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
michael123

Post by michael123 »

This one?
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/58733 ... 0-01750-05#

Would you mind share the picture of the mounted camera?

Did you also consider BlackVue cameras?

I sat of course in XC40, and I would prefer not having any kind of 'artificial' devices there, just trying to select the least obstructive device while reliable and effective
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

I have the 55 as it has a better resolution and, in my opinion, the field of vision is more than wide enough.

Mine was a special 'plus' edition, sold by Halfords in the UK, & comes with lifetime safety camera subscription + polarising filter.

Bit busy to take photos at moment but can confirm it's a very small camera and, with the lens being on right, is ideal for fitting on passenger side of RHD cars.

Voice recognition is handy for saving videos / taking pictures = though you get lots of false triggers with radio on.
Real name Carl
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

P.S: Did look at Blackvue but, the problem with so many cameras, is that it's hard to find a good location that's fully legal - I've got fed up in the past with M.O.T. testers pulling off cameras & leaving them dangling.

If you want your dealer to fit your camera, it maybe worth checking with them 1st. Some will fit anything, as long as you're paying; some will only fit Roadhawk.
Real name Carl
Bright Silver/Charcoal
michael123

Post by michael123 »

Does it matter right or left hand drive?
I am not from UK and seems the legality is less of an issue for me.
My friend has some Lexus with Viofo and is very happy, also an option.
XC40 is just such a stylish car, so I really scratch my head to find the "invisible" dash cam

Garmin is a good option, is quite small - thanks for that!
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

michael123 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:22 pm Does it matter right or left hand drive?
XC40 is just such a stylish car, so I really scratch my head to find the "invisible" dash cam

I have installed the Viofo A119 Pro in my XC40. About 3cm from the Intellisafe binnacle on the passenger side. It’s almost invisible from my driving position, sits behind the rear view mirror.
I get no interference to/from the intellisafe and I’m very satisfied with the video quality. Very reliable too, I had used one in my previous car for 2.5 yrs without any problems.
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
michael123

Post by michael123 »

Rifleman wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:35 pm
michael123 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:22 pm Does it matter right or left hand drive?

I have installed the Viofo A119 Pro in my XC40. About 3cm from the Intellisafe binnacle on the passenger side. It’s almost invisible from my driving position, sits behind the rear view mirror.
I get no interference to/from the intellisafe and I’m very satisfied with the video quality. Very reliable too, I had used one in my previous car for 2.5 yrs without any problems.
Thanks!
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

I only mention that because, in the UK, the law says we can't protrude more than 40mm into the swept area. It's very hard to find a camera that complies with this law in the XC40, as the Intellisafe box dominates the space that would usually be used.

Most people in the UK treat the law as 'flexible' - I'm a bit of a wimp :lol:
Real name Carl
Bright Silver/Charcoal
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

I have the Halford HDC-400. Not sure of a European model of this, but it’s small and can barely be seen from the driver’s side when hidden against the Intellisafe box.

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... reId=10001

It’s wired to the fuse box and works really well. Don’t go for the HDR rear facing camera though, no amount of ferrites will recover DAB reception.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018