Did anyone here installed CarCam?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Deleted User 2446

Post by Deleted User 2446 »

Hi Grime, DAB interference was my biggest concen, I'm pleased to say there's none. I'm not sure how they wired it in. I looked in the fuse box under the seat and can not see any additional wiring. re the type of cam, please read my orginal post further up this string.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3282340 ... 4c4d6WYqbF

The stuff on the window, Ha. Ha. I was in NSW/Queensland last Feb, a saw plenty of the stuff then!!

Take care & be safe in the current mad world...
Regards Mark

Deleted User 2478

Post by Deleted User 2478 »

I also looked at this carcam, but had concerns with heat from camera messing up the climate sensor that sits under the rearview mirror. Also, Volvo states clearly in the user manual the area of windshield that should not be obstructed for the Intelisafe system to work.

8E63B973-9B0C-4808-90BC-A61AB979F805.png

I opted for the Garmin Mini dashcam. It’s small footprint (3.1 x 5.3 x 2.9 cm) is within legal limits on the driver side upper-corner windshield and has no interference with the car safety system and climate control. Bought it on Amazon, reviews are very good and I’m pleased with how it performs, the app is working fine and gets regular updates from Garmin.

8E63B973-9B0C-4808-90BC-A61AB979F805.png

D8EEA65F-84D8-43A8-B4E1-A88AAC520175.jpeg

Last edited by Deleted User 2478 on Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
White

Post by White »

You may wish to look at a solution I posted under "Dash Cam Connector" which I posted with photos on March 9th
Volvo XC40, T4, R-Design Pro, AWD, Automatic, Thunder Cloud Grey
Deleted User 2446

Post by Deleted User 2446 »

Hello White, I'm glad you’re happy with your choice, personally I didn’t want anything so visible as yours in the picture. I can fully understand and appreciate your thoughts on heat, I did some bench testing via a golf battery. After one hour there was no noticeable heat generated. I don’t want to be confrontational about your comment regarding the climate sensor. The attached picture from Volvo shows only the moisture sensor in this area. I presume the moisture sensor is the rain sensor.
As the saying goes
“ You pays your money and you takes your chance”
I have no affiliation to the dashcam I have, but for me I’m really happy with it as I’m sure you are.

Capture.PNG

Deleted User 2478

Post by Deleted User 2478 »

Hi Mark, I appreciate your comments on heat generated by the camera. With your own heat test showing no significant temperature increase, the carcam will most probably not interfere with the climate system. The moisture sensor is part of the internal climate control that regulates the dehumidifier effect of AC, meaning that on cold weather it turns on and off the AC depending on the level of interior humidity. The rain sensor is situated on the windshield, it’s the small triangle shaped mirrored surface on the outside.
Roadhog

Post by Roadhog »

Now some time to test has passed I would appreciate experience with having cam mounted left top of windscreen not centre (for obvious reason).
I am tilted to a Garmin Mini but concerned view range. Following a van when "stuff" fell from the open rear door reminded me to get on with it.
Many thanks
Osmium grey FE D4
Pirots

Post by Pirots »

20200614_194244.jpg

I installed a Blackvue front and rear camera. I did not want the dealer one because the Blackvue's are better, and I wanted it to record when the car was parked. Dealer would not fit it so I fitted it myself and it was very easy. I wired it with the connector in the pic, no wiring or nothing you just plug it in.

I read somewhere that if it's fitted so many centimetres away then it would be ok. Not had any problems at all.

Car was at dealers on Thursday for a recall and the dealer did not mention it.

20200614_194220.jpg

Volvo XC40 1.5 T3 R-Design, Auto, Thunder grey, Xenium pack, Intellisafe surround, Winter pack, Convenience pack, Spare wheel.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

HI Pirots

What have you done under the dash there? Is that plugged in to OBD or something?
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Pirots

Post by Pirots »

Yes, it's a lead I bought on Amazon. It just plugs into the OBD port. When you want it to record in a car park or when you're away from the car, you just flick the switch on it.

It was very very easy to install and hide the leads.
Volvo XC40 1.5 T3 R-Design, Auto, Thunder grey, Xenium pack, Intellisafe surround, Winter pack, Convenience pack, Spare wheel.
Pirots

Post by Pirots »

Put this into Amazon,
Conecta BlackVue Dash Cam OBD Power +