Looking at buying a XC40

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Barry

Post by Barry »

Hello everyone,
I’m thinking of buying a XC40, was thinking of going for a new one but I’ve seen a pre owned one on the volvo web site,
It’s a first edition T5 the only thing that’s on my mind is that it’s had a private owner it’s only 10 months old. Why would someone trade in a car that’s only a few months old? Am I being stupid or it it a concern, don’t want to buy a dud one, any advice would be appreciated.

Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

I think you've answered your own question.

Delays on new ones aren't so bad now - I wouldn't take the risk.

When I were a nipper, you could look up the previous owner in a thing called a 'phone book' & sometimes you'd be relieved to find out that the car was perfect but didn't fit in the garage.

Unless you can contact the previous owner, best to stay clear. Might be worth describing car in more detail & naming dealer, just in case anyone here can identify it.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
PC40

Post by PC40 »

Some of the ones now being sold are Volvo’s own cars. Either company vehicles or press fleet.
When I took my car for its first years service the dealer had an identical FE for sale at a far higher price than I paid. I’ve also seen a similar one locally recently supplied by the same dealer.
Check the registration plate for similarities to the press photos.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
Barry

Post by Barry »

Thanks for your opinion’s. I know it hasn’t been a Volvo company car or press fleet vehicle. It’s up for sale at the Volvo dealership in Poole Dorset. It’s a Bournemouth registrated car HG18 BGF . If anyone has any info or knowledge of this car I would be interested.
Many Thanks
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

A couple of owners on here sold back to volvo due to a change in personal circumstances and the value holding so well that they weren't actually out of pocket. The FE's come with a lot of kit, spec'ing an R Design to match will cost a fair amount.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
senwar

Post by senwar »

kirsty_s2k wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:45 am A couple of owners on here sold back to volvo due to a change in personal circumstances and the value holding so well that they weren't actually out of pocket. The FE's come with a lot of kit, spec'ing an R Design to match will cost a fair amount.
^^^ That

Likelihood nothing wrong with a used FE. As much as I love mine, if it wasn't a lease I may have done similar and sold back just because it would have been free motoring (plus I like to change regularly).
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

My local Volvo dealer almost always has a used FE for sale at £39,995 (different cars each time) which they say are from Volvo UK as ex demonstrators.
Goldfish

Post by Goldfish »

What is the extra spec for a FE?
I tried an internet broker site to spec a Rd- pro T5 with literally all options and the discounted price is under 40k.
This RD-pro will attract higher road tax.
What was the list price for the FE?
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Goldfish wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:24 am What is the extra spec for a FE?
I tried an internet broker site to spec a Rd- pro T5 with literally all options and the discounted price is under 40k.
This RD-pro will attract higher road tax.
What was the list price for the FE?
£39,950 I think, possibly £39,550.
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Bob

Post by Bob »

The 'on the road' list price for the FEs were £39,305 for the D4, and £40,055 for the T5 (from 'Model Year 2018 & Model Year 2019 Edition 2' price list.

Here is the list of all the variant features at that time at that time.

I remember pricing up an R-Design with all the features of a T5 FE at the time and, if I remember correctly, it came to well over £45k.

Interestingly, as I was renewing the insurance for mine yesterday, I had a look at Volvo's used car prices to make sure I was valuing my car correctly should it get written off and require a replacement (with various discount I got mine for about £36k, with a tow bar fitted and Polestar). I found all the 68 plate T5 FEs were between £39k and almost £42k, all with at least 3 times the mileage of mine, most with 4 or 5 times (I haven't used it much in 6 months, only just over 2k miles). Even the 18 plate ones were up to £40k!
I revised the cost I was insuring it for!

Bob
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)