LOOKING FOR 19 INCH ALLOYS

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

The complete sets of 4 wheels with winter tyres has just disappeared from Volvo's website, presumably until later this year.

I am going to get accurate prices from my local dealer for a complete set with summer tyres (part number 32270749) as well as just the wheels. Although I only need the wheels at present, the complete set option may turn out to be a cheap(er) way of getting another set of tyres which will get used in time.

I'm still hoping a set of barely used will come up on ebay significantly cheaper...time will tell.

For anyone looking to use a different size wheel for winter tyres than the one that came with their car be aware of the following from Volvo's website:

"When changing to new wheel dimensions, new software must be downloaded. Updates speedometer, steering gear and tyre dimensions. Ordered according to separate procedure and downloaded using VIDA".

This would mean a dealer visit (and charge no doubt) twice a year which is why I'm sticking with 19" summer and winter. If I didn't live in a remote part of northern Scotland I'd use Michelin Cross Climate+ all year round...
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.

Deleted User 1894

Post by Deleted User 1894 »

The warning is because the various tyres that Volvo specify for the car don't have the same proportions (annoyingly): you can plug the dimensions into a calculator (like https://tiresize.com/comparison/) and it'll tell you what difference you'll have.

For example, if you go from 245/45 R20 to 235/55 R18, the 18 inch tyres have a circumference that's 1.7% less than the larger tyres. According to that calculator page, this will make the speedo over-read by a whole one mile per hour when you're doing 60 (so you'll actually be doing 59 mph).

I'm not sure I'd personally bother for an over-read of such a small amount. I change my tyres over myself, so having to drive to the dealer every time would be a pain.