LOOKING FOR 19 INCH ALLOYS

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

Hi all.

I know this is a long shot, but on the basis there's no harm in asking:

I'm looking for a set of 4 19 inch wheels so I can keep a separate set with winter tyres. They must be Volvo original, not after-market and either unused or still in perfect condition. I would prefer the '924' style (standard on the Inscription Pro) but would consider the '911' style. Must be 19 inch.

I only need the wheels, but would consider a set with tyres and could arrange collection/delivery to me in northern Scotland.

I have been fortunate in the past in buying wheels for other cars from people immediately upgrading their alloys on a new purchase. With the XC40 being so new I have found nothing yet on ebay or gumtree. Needless to say the Volvo dealer price is too astronomical to contemplate.

Any information or suggestions gratefully received.
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.

Deleted User 1894

Post by Deleted User 1894 »

Just out of interest, how much did the Volvo dealer quote?
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

Septercius wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:37 pm Just out of interest, how much did the Volvo dealer quote?
I asked back when I collected the car and cannot remember exactly, but I'm sure it was over £2,500 for a set. I've seen essentially new XC40 18 inch and 20 inch alloys on ebay for nearer £1,200 including tyres!
Deleted User 1894

Wow, that's ridiculous! I think I'll be searching elsewhere when my car eventually arrives. By way of comparison, I paid about £1200 for a set of 18" genuine Mercedes wheels from a third-party website (alloywheelsdirect - sadly they don't offer anything for Volvos).

Volvo UK seem reluctant to provide any information about winter wheels, let alone a configurator like I've seen on VW and Mercedes web sitse in the past. Other manufacturers offer a "winter wheel programme", where you can buy alloys either with or without tyres.

It might be worth monitoring eBay in countries where winter tyres are mandatory, such as Germany (i.e. www.ebay.de), on the off-chance that someone might be selling a set. You'd want to search for something like "xc40 winterfelgen", "xc40 alufelgen" or "xc40 winterräder" ("felgen" = alloys; "alu" = aluminium; "räder" = wheels). For example, a dealer is selling a set of 18" wheels with Goodyear winter tyres for EUR 1488 (about £1280) - https://www.ebay.de/itm/VOLVO-ORIGINAL- ... SwMg5b9ts5 - you'd need to pay shipping on top, which may be a fair sum.

Another option may be to see if a German dealer will ship a set directly: https://www.volvocars-haendler.de/lochn ... nfigurator.
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

Thanks for the Euro tips Septercius. You would think a 'Swedish' car company would be more pro-active on winter wheels/tyres. Perhaps the concept has not taken hold yet in China!
Deleted User 1894

It looks like it's just a UK thing (surprise!). The German brochure for the XC40 has two pages devoted to winter wheel and tyre options:

http://viewer.ipaper.io/volvo-car-germa ... 0/?page=40

They don't list the 924s and they don't list the wheels on their own, but the tyre choices are pretty good. The 911s (19") start at EUR 2100 or so, which is about £1800. It looks like you need 18" or above for the T5 (presumably due to brake disc size), but all other engines can fit 17s". I'd probably go for the standard R-Design design in 18" fitment with the Goodyear tyres as I have them on my Mercedes and they're great.

Part numbers are listed. "Bestellmenge" is the order quantity (1 or 4) and German VAT (MwSt) is 19% compared to our 20%. I wonder whether it would be possible to order them from the UK? If not, why not take a short trip to Germany on the ferry?

Edit: I sent my salesperson an email asking if it's possible to order from the UK. I'll update with her response.
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

Septercius wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:38 pm It looks like it's just a UK thing (surprise!). The German brochure for the XC40 has two pages devoted to winter wheel and tyre options:

http://viewer.ipaper.io/volvo-car-germa ... 0/?page=40

They don't list the 924s and they don't list the wheels on their own, but the tyre choices are pretty good. The 911s (19") start at EUR 2100 or so, which is about £1800. It looks like you need 18" or above for the T5 (presumably due to brake disc size), but all other engines can fit 17s". I'd probably go for the standard R-Design design in 18" fitment with the Goodyear tyres as I have them on my Mercedes and they're great.

Part numbers are listed. "Bestellmenge" is the order quantity (1 or 4) and German VAT (MwSt) is 19% compared to our 20%. I wonder whether it would be possible to order them from the UK? If not, why not take a short trip to Germany on the ferry?

Edit: I sent my salesperson an email asking if it's possible to order from the UK. I'll update with her response.
Thanks for doing all this.

I do specifically need 19" as I already have winter and summer tyres in this size. An additional set of tyres would get used in time so wouldn't be a problem.

Unfortunately a 'short trip on the ferry' from the Highlands is a bit tricky! but with Brexit delayed I'm sure carriage could be arranged.

Thanks again.
Deleted User 1894

Well, I got a response to my query from the parts chap at my local dealer.

The good news is that they can order winter wheel and tyre sets here in the UK. The bad news is that the prices make no sense:

Continental - £2781.96
Michelin - £2845.90
Nokian - £1525.54

I have no idea why the Continental and Michelins are over £1200 more than the Nokians, when there's only 200-300 Euros difference in the German price list. This was for the 18" R-Design wheels. They couldn't quote for the Goodyears due to "IT problems" at Volvo.

I will get him to confirm those prices and see what he comes back with.
Wedgie

Post by Wedgie »

I had Nokian's and my V40 excellent tyres in the snow.
Deleted User 1894

If anyone's interested in the prices I posted previously, I had some more feedback, though from a different dealer. I replied to my supplying dealer's email two weeks ago (to both the saleswoman and the parts guy) and they still haven't got back to me. Hopefully this isn't a sign of the level of service I can expect in the coming months.

Anyway, I got another dealer to quote me for the same 18" wheels. The prices are exactly the same, with the Nokians nearly 50% cheaper than the Michelins and Continentals. He also quoted for some 19"s - for Michelins, the price is £2011, but Continentals are nearly £3400! Apparently you have to pay in advance due to the cost and they take two weeks to ship from Sweden. He confirmed the lack of Goodyear options, though looking at the German brochure again, there was a "whilst stocks last" warning, though the options listed in the German brochure are only valid until the end of May. I'm hoping that there will be some new choices come June.

I still can't get my head around the pricing structure: 19" with Michelins are cheaper than the 18"s, and the wide disparity in prices continues regardless of the size you choose. I also don't see why prices in the UK are so much different to the EU.

Using the 18"s and converting from German prices (from a random dealer's configurator here) in Euros to the British pound, the Nokians are £1423, the Michelins are £1742 and the Continentals are £1665. That's over £1000 cheaper. You could catch a ferry and spend a few days in somewhere nice like Cologne and still save money.