Boot opening daft question

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
West Yorkshire Lofty

Post by West Yorkshire Lofty »

This may be a daft question! Took delivery of our new D4 R Design yesterday.

As the wife is 4 foot 11, ordered the car with the remote boot opening and more important closing feature.

The issue, using the kicking motion unlocks the boot but it doesn’t open!

When you have manually opened the boot, the close button doesn’t work!

Car fault or operator error?

Don’t want to go back to the dealer and look daft.

Constructive reply’s appreciated.

Cheers WYL
Three Car Garage Sorted! :mrgreen:

hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

I don’t have the kick feature, but the Volvo videos show it should open. I can always shut the boot using the key or driver’s button regardless of how it was opened. Have you checked the settings on sensus screen (if there are any)? When you say “manually” open the boot, what do you mean, as I can’t open the boot by hand, the motor always takes over.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
Ian333

Post by Ian333 »

There’s no such thing as a daft question but I’ll ask a ‘daft’ one back...

Did you spec your car with the powered tailgate as I believe that kick unlocking and powering the tailgate are separate options.
Ordered T5 R-Design Pro with most of the bells and whistles in early May ‘18 and received delivery at end of Jan ‘19
Very Happy 😃... especially now it’s Polestarred
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Massive apologies in advance if this comes across as patronising but.............did you specify the powered tailgate at £375? Sorry but have to ask.

If you ordered this alone:

Keyless Drive (includes Keyless Entry and Keyless Start) with Remote Tag plus Handsfree Tailgate
Opening/Closing

You have my greatest sympathies as the pricelist was incredibly misleading IMHO (it [on its own] remote locks/unlocks only, not open/close as stated).

I'm assuming your delivery date indicates a MY19 model?

Edit: Apologies to Ian - I completely missed that you had already replied :roll:
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

I would further add that, if the above correctly explains your situation, I would suggest that you quite firmly approach your dealer and/or Volvo UK to see how they may help you.

If you check the current (MY20) configurator and look at the packs/options, they have both changed the description (after the horse has bolted) & now only offer (for the R Design) the powered tailgate and keyless entry packaged together within the convenience pack (Inscription already has powered tailgate as standard).
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Not sure how well this system works on the Volvo but on my Mercedes it was rubbish, gave up on it after a few days and resorted to using the button to open and close.
Bob

Post by Bob »

It works really well on my XC40, it opens and closes on the first kick nearly everytime.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
elysio

Post by elysio »

stu22 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:09 am Not sure how well this system works on the Volvo but on my Mercedes it was rubbish, gave up on it after a few days and resorted to using the button to open and close.
Funny enough my mercedes is the one that's extremely consistent, whereas my XC40 is a bit on and off... maybe I'm kicking it wrong...
morrishey

Post by morrishey »

The significant thing I've found is stepping away from the car after the kick. If you just stand there, it won't open (to avoid making you in the chin). Kick, step back, opens with a beep.

As for closing, I've never tried kick to close. But, after using the traditional button to unlock and then motor itself open, the close button on the boot lip should work to close the lid.

That's assuming you've got a powered bootlid of course, as mentioned above. If you are opening the boot with the button above the number plate, it should still power open if you have the powered bootlid. If when you say "manually opening the boot", you mean you have to life the lid yourself, then you've either not got the powered option, or the whole thing isn't working.
XC40 T5 FE, Fusion Red, 20inch wheels.
Ordered 15th March. Delivery, originally June, delivered 26th October.
rhaleuk

Post by rhaleuk »

My dealer told me to swing my foot from the V to the L in Volvo. However, videos online said just kick into the first O in Volvo. Following that guide and kicking under the O I get a 95% success rate.
XC40 D4 Auto First Edition, Crystal White, Lava Orange, 20" Alloys, Polestar - Ordered 14/3/18 - Delivery 6/10/18