Premium diesel

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
xbimmer

Post by xbimmer »

Does anyone with a D4 use premium diesel? Read that we should occasionally use it but not done so yet (now at 2000 miles).
D4 R-design in black.

boroman

Post by boroman »

Hi xbimmer , I have always filled up with premium diesel. To be honest I just do it out of habit as I used premium diesel for the Merc ML I had prior to the Volvo. Not sure if it makes any difference , just makes me feel better .I have had no engine issues up to now and the mileage feels about right , the car has just had its first birthday but still only has 6000 on the clock. Cheers.
Red XC40 FE D4 20" Alloys
Gre

Post by Gre »

Hi xbimmer. Same here always I use premium deisel espesially having the price of the premium same as the standard on a weekly offers. If the cost is not significant then why not using the premium otherwise it’s good to use it once a while.
D4 R design FE bright silver 20 wheels.
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

Hi xbimmer.

I bought a petrol XC40 despite the extra fuel cost over diesel because of the potential for problems with the DPF filter and the oil dilution issues I've learned a lot about with my diesel Range Rover. The 'Diesel DPF recall' thread on this forum gives an excellent summary of the subject. Because of this I now run my RR exclusively on premium diesel from either Shell, BP or Esso, and always disable the stop/start function. The premium fuel should burn more cleanly (although hard evidence is hard to come by) leading to fewer DPF regenerations.

That said, if you will replace your car at 3 years or do a high mileage on long motorway runs, the extra cost of premium may not be justifiable.
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.