Harman Kardon 14 speakers vs High Performance 8 speakers

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
michael123

Post by michael123 »

Hello

I have now 4 months waiting time for my XC40 to arrive :-(
It is bundled with the 8-speaker so called 'high performance', and the question is if to upgrade to HK

I am an audiophile, my audio system at home costs 2.5 times more than the car itself, so the upgrade to HK costs less than cost of the cable in my audio system. As it is said, "no brainer", but I would like to understand what it is. The dealer has no knowledge besides the name and the price I need to pay

(1) I am seeing here some chart (under XC40)
https://www.harmankardon.co.uk/volvo.html

but I don't understand where are full specs, how Dirac is tuned,

(2) Are there additional features added to the Sensus when upgrading to HK? Again, due to integrated Dirac? I have Dirac at home, it is a multi-step process requiring measuring 17 locations in your listening space with the calibrated mic and then building the filter

(3) Did you try comparing Spotify sound to the high-quality files via USB (aka high-rez FLAC or so). Does it play DSD music (DSF files)?

Thanks,
Michael

michael123

Post by michael123 »

Being an audiophile, I know the best feedback you get is your ears, so I took disk on key with variety of songs and went back to the dealer.

To my luck, there was XC90 with Harman Kardon on display. Even though not exactly the same as for XC40, it is supposed to be close.

Software wise, there is a new application called 'Sound Expierence'. Nothing much there except the possibility to disable surround mode. Also, I set a focus on 'driver' seat.

Comparison (with the settings above)
High Performance system had deep and precise bass, but the vocals were somewhat thin, lacking volume

HK had less bass (maybe it was the right one?) yet the singer had the clarity, dimensions and volume.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

I've never been able to judge them side by side but, there were a couple of reasons I decided to save my money:

XC40 was designed for practically. There's not a lot of room to install much better speakers, however hard you try.

UK doesn't see 'standard' version at all. When I looked at Italian configurator, standard was just dash air woofer + 2 speakers. I figured the UK 'standard' was probably already a good effort.

Although I'm one of those oddballs who really likes Pro Logic II for certain music genres, I listen to the radio quite a bit day to day and, as far as I could see, surround sound couldn't be set according to source. I couldn't see myself wanting to keep fiddling with the controls (via a touch screen).
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
michael123

Post by michael123 »

What is the practicality of 360 camera?

music is my second hobby after the day job, it is of paramount importance

I just shared my notes as an audiophile comparing two systems.

This forum has already few threads on HK, but nothing useful.
Chris-croft

Post by Chris-croft »

I have it, and it's a cheap upgrade, so imo money well spent.
If the standard system is 5/10; the the upgraded version is 6.5-7.0/10
However it isn't very loud; I've no idea where all those Watts go; but they certainly don't get turned into music.
It's nothing like the B&W system on an XC60 which is 9.5/10, but its only circa 20% of the price of the XC60's
I think it works best using the Apple car play from my I phone & Spotify compared to the car radio.
T5 FE GREY OUTSIDE; BLACK INSIDE; 20" RIMS; Oct 19 DEL with P*
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

I'd say the 360 camera is helpful enough in parking & tight manouvers in everyday use to be worth the money to anyone. I am also involved in setting up & de-rigging charity events against the clock & it's usually (dis)organised chaos with signage & stakes scattered all around - it stops me driving over things :lol:

This event work also often sees me driving along some very narrow paths in country parks etc. & I don't want too many scratches on my car :D
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
michael123

Post by michael123 »

Chris-croft wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:52 pm If the standard system is 5/10; the the upgraded version is 6.5-7.0/10
However it isn't very loud; I've no idea where all those Watts go; but they certainly don't get turned into music.
Correct.
It is a bit better, especially in the vocal/mid area - for me that's crucial.