Add Interior Lighting

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
swesleyc7

Post by swesleyc7 »

Hey everyone. I bought a close-to-base 2019 T5. I bought no packages or options other than adding 20" wheels and the protection package (mud flaps, rubber floor mats, etc.). I'm disappointed there is no lighting in the rear of the vehicle, illuminating the rear passenger seat. The only interior lighting that turns on after opening the door are the overhead console lights above the shifter.

After realizing ambient lighting only comes included with the Premium Package, I was curious to see if I could find where the bulbs might have been. I see there are spots throughout the trim (under the door's arm rest or under the side mirrors, for instance) that have spots for the bulbs. I also see there remains control for the ambient lighting in the Sensus software, despite the purchase of the premium package, but this only dims the map light above the shifter.

Does anyone know if it's possible to order and personally install the light bulbs in found ambient lighting locations? I bet the wiring for the ambient lighting remains in the doors, etc.. I really want some illumination in the rear cabin and add bulbs to side mirrors to illuminate the ground after opening the door. Thanks.

CesarCastro

Post by CesarCastro »

Hi, I bought a Momentun and have no rear interior light.
Asked the dealer 2 days ago for the possibility of installing this after sale.
He does not know!.
Hope to get the answer tomorrow.
If so I will post it.
XC40 T3
swesleyc7

Post by swesleyc7 »

As an FYI: the SwedeSpeed forums have a thread going regarding this. It appears if someone doesn't purchase the Premium Package or an XC40 trim with the Premium features included (like R-design), it won't include additional interior lights. It's so stupid that Volvo did that.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthrea ... dome-light

I'd be very interested in a rear dome light if Volvo can install one. I was considering an aftermarket, battery-powered light, but it would look VERY non-premium. If there's some way to provide technical feedback to Volvo, I'd love to give them a piece of my mind.
Peter G

Post by Peter G »

Hi
After searching a bit. The side reading lights for the rear seems identical for xc40,xc60 and 90. Maybe order a set and have them wires to the front ones over the shifter?
The headligning seems like having the holes precut?

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/show ... veLine=441
2018 XC40 D4 AWD AUT Black Onyx Momentum First Mover
swesleyc7

Post by swesleyc7 »

Peter G wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:10 pm Hi
After searching a bit. The side reading lights for the rear seems identical for xc40,xc60 and 90. Maybe order a set and have them wires to the front ones over the shifter?
The headligning seems like having the holes precut?

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/show ... veLine=441
It's a good thought. I found another diagram with the interior light housing.

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/show ... t=12577495
Peter G

Post by Peter G »

At those prices they must be made from titanium and kevlar....😳
Peter G

Post by Peter G »

Just for inspiration....

http://www.matronics.eu/
razashah5

Post by razashah5 »

Hi, I have ambient lighting in my Inscription Pro. The software allows you to select different ambient colours - yellow, white, blue, green, purple. The light themselves are quite tiny little LEDs - two either side in the rear cabin at the top - where the handle/coat hook would be, and one at the middle top front of the car near the other front cabin lights
T4 Inscription Pro - Crystal White - Xenium Pack - Intellisafe Pro
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

razashah5 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 6:55 pm Hi, I have ambient lighting in my Inscription Pro. The software allows you to select different ambient colours - yellow, white, blue, green, purple. The light themselves are quite tiny little LEDs - two either side in the rear cabin at the top - where the handle/coat hook would be, and one at the middle top front of the car near the other front cabin lights
I have these in my D3R. Chocolate tea pot comes to mind!
scottpcs

Post by scottpcs »

ACertainAge wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:16 am
razashah5 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 6:55 pm Hi, I have ambient lighting in my Inscription Pro. The software allows you to select different ambient colours - yellow, white, blue, green, purple. The light themselves are quite tiny little LEDs - two either side in the rear cabin at the top - where the handle/coat hook would be, and one at the middle top front of the car near the other front cabin lights
I have these in my D3R. Chocolate tea pot comes to mind!
Couldn't agree more!
XC40 FE D4 AWD Auto - Crystal White ¦ Charcoal ¦ 20" AND Headlight Washers! ¦ Polestar