R Design vs R Design Pro

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Ordered a new car for my wife last month and keep having the nagging thought that I should have gone for the Pro over the stock R Design.
Ordered the MY2020 R Design with winter pack, front park assist and powered memory front seats - from what I can see the only major difference is bendy headlights and bigger wheels. I'd personally like the 20" wheels over the 18" but my wife does have a fondness for kerbs! :lol:

Anything glaringly obvious I'm missing other than a bigger bill for the Pro?

ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

Don't think so Stu. I've got a D3R which I bought from Lookers in Colchester. Now 6 months old and very pleased with it.
stu22

Post by stu22 »

ACertainAge wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:01 am Don't think so Stu. I've got a D3R which I bought from Lookers in Colchester. Now 6 months old and very pleased with it.
Thanks - Didn't think I was missing much else so thing will stay with our current order than go for the Pro.
We ordered the T3R with the 163bhp engine as my wife only really drives from West Begholt to Rowhedge daily for work, so the diesel wasn't really going to make much difference for us in economy etc.

How did you find Lookers? They wouldn't budge on price so we purchased through Donald's in Ipswich and saved a good few £K
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

I found a cancelled order at Lookers and was not able to get any discount as they actually had the car and several people had enquired about it. I live in Ipswich and use Donald's for any problems and the 3 month check. Service department is brilliant, and Leanne is superb!
stu22

Post by stu22 »

ACertainAge wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:26 am I found a cancelled order at Lookers and was not able to get any discount as they actually had the car and several people had enquired about it. I live in Ipswich and use Donald's for any problems and the 3 month check. Service department is brilliant, and Leanne is superb!
Aaahhh, that explains it then.
I have used Donald's before but their Mazda garage, were always very good I found......
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

No, you're not missing anything. Only thing I would say is that, for those who don't keep their car long, Pro provides slightly better resale value as the extras become part of the list price.

I was torn between adding/not adding Pro to my Inscription, as I could have chosen winter pack with heated steering wheel (not a massive fan of heated screens). In the ended, opted for Pro for resale value.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Silver Moose wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:43 am No, you're not missing anything. Only thing I would say is that, for those who don't keep their car long, Pro provides slightly better resale value as the extras become part of the list price.

I was torn between adding/not adding Pro to my Inscription, as I could have chosen winter pack with heated steering wheel (not a massive fan of heated screens). In the ended, opted for Pro for resale value.
We will keep ours at least 3 years, guessing after that people will buy or trade-in on condition.

With my previous car, a Mercedes, the option packs all offered a good choice of things I wanted so did go to town with them adding over £10k to the list price. With the new Volvo for my wife, the packs are a little random and there's nothing really she wanted other than the heated screen, front park assist and electric seats so the packs didn't really work. Similarly with her current Tiguan, the car was pretty much the standard spec as none of the options did much for her......
Goldfish

Post by Goldfish »

Declaration: I have ordered a MY20 RD-pro

Apart from the values, the active headlights is only available on the pro package.
I did worry about the ride with those bigger wheels. I also read from somewhere that the active lights is better than the standard one.
Hindsight would be a Insp-pro but I just cannot take the crystal gear shift :lol:
Everything is down to personal preference at the time ;)
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Goldfish wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:15 pm Declaration: I have ordered a MY20 RD-pro

Apart from the values, the active headlights is only available on the pro package.
I did worry about the ride with those bigger wheels. I also read from somewhere that the active lights is better than the standard one.
Hindsight would be a Insp-pro but I just cannot take the crystal gear shift :lol:
Everything is down to personal preference at the time ;)
The active headlights did appeal to me at first but having read in to the system, it is not as advanced as the LED ILS system that was fitted to my Mercedes - simply an advance cornering function, so kind of lost interest in that one.
We found the ride on our first demo (T5 FE) with 20" wheels pretty good, if a little noisy but not terrible - the 18" wheels on the 2nd demo were most certainly quieter and smoother though but not enough to deter me from the 20" option if it were to be my car.

For us choosing an R-Design really came down to the look of the car and colour combo's available, with me particularly liking the black accents (My Merc had the Night Pack on a black car, so very little bling! 8-) ) but was ultimately the wife's choice.....