Rear camera and boot switch catches broke

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Twin4Me

Post by Twin4Me »

I noticed today that the rear boot opener/camera on the taillight had come loose. On further investigation it appears the plastic mounting fixings have broken, the other side broke as I lifted it slightly to look

Has anyone else had the same problem?

I tend to use the latch as I still can't get the hang of wobbling my foot around under the bumper

Currently held up with Gaffa tape until I get to the dealers.

IMG_5706.JPG

IMG_5705.JPG

IMG_5704.JPG

First Edition in Red - Love the car but love my Ducati Multistrada more...

morrishey

Post by morrishey »

I'm sure I remember a few posts in the early delivery days last summer of people getting problems like this. I've not experienced it myself.
XC40 T5 FE, Fusion Red, 20inch wheels.
Ordered 15th March. Delivery, originally June, delivered 26th October.
Twin4Me

Post by Twin4Me »

Volvo Gatwick were very helpful, they are ordering a new part and will let me know when it arrives.
Apparently they had another one with the same issue last year.

(Screws seem way too tight to me)
First Edition in Red - Love the car but love my Ducati Multistrada more...
varavital

Post by varavital »

I had exactly the same problem last tuesday when washing the car in the late afternoon. Called my dealer and they ordered a new one and replaced it the next morning at 8 am. Since the replacement, I also noticed that the image of the rearview camera is much brighter, always had the impression that the rear view camera was ok with a clear view, but much clearer now. Don't know if they replaced the boot switch and camera as one part, or if they demounted the camera of the old boot switch.
It seems to be a know issue. Thought I already saw some more posts on this problem.
The road is more important than the destination.
lhaldy

Post by lhaldy »

I had the same issue and took it to the dealer here in the USA. The handle was hanging off dangling by a thread! They ordered the part and fixed it the following week. The service person did say that this seems to be a an issue with the XC40 and I wasn't the first person to bring it in for this.
JohnMac

Post by JohnMac »

Yip, same here. My issue was pretty much identical to the pictures posted by Twin4Me. Discovered it last Friday. I was planning to be away for the weekend, so phoned the local dealer at my intended destination to explain the situation. They were great - ordered the part and it was fitted the following morning, less than 24hrs after I first noticed the problem. I have noticed a slight change in my rear view camera - image seems very slightly darker than I recall it was before. Yes, it would be good to get confirmation if the camera is changed in these circumstances or if the original one is just re-fitted. I do suspect the latter but interesting that two of us have noticed a difference.

The dealer commented it was a known fault - he had seen a few of these recently.
CesarCastro

Post by CesarCastro »

Same with me last week.
Starts with a noise, meaning one of the fixing points is broken.
Then you get the intire peace in your hands :(.
Tomorrow it will be replaced.
Notice how easy is to steal the camera.
Just takes to screws :(
XC40 T3
DaveSig2018

Post by DaveSig2018 »

Hey all
Believe I have just identified this issue with my XC40. Wondered wy the rear camera was a little off centre and noticed (on closer inspection) that the right hand screw fixing is loose - appears broken rather than just needing to be tightened.

Called my Nottingham Dealer and am booked in for Tuesday next week - now to find some gaffer tape to keep it in place until then.
On order (April 2018) XC40 Inscription / T4 / Denim Blue / now on the road as of 30th July 2018!! :D
algrey

Post by algrey »

Another series of posts on this. Known issue. When I took mine in for attention I was second in the queue!
mss911

Post by mss911 »

Looks like this problem still exists - while loading up today spotted a missing screw on the mounting . grrrrrr