Tow bar movement

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Garydinoz

Post by Garydinoz »

Hello all,
Excuse me for posting from Australia but this seems to the most lively XC40 forum.

Looking for some feedback /advice on the XC40 towbar. I had mine factory fitted as it’s an essential item for me. Not the retractable one which seems quite popular in the UK.

Anyway I discovered that when I put the tow bar in it had room to move left/right and up and down. There is only a pin to secure it at the back but my bike carrier moves around considerably. I took this up wit the dealership and their solution was to wrap electrical tape round it and jam it in the insert. This wasn’t great and I requested a permanent solution.

6 months later I took it for a health check and raised it again. This time they raised a technical fault with Volvo but stated it could be 6 months or never before they looked at it. Not impressed with this I took it to Volvo Australia. They followed up and came back stating it was working within operational guidelines. More emails ensued and now they have admitted there is no fix and offered a refund but only after they remove it.

Anyone else had an issue with the tow bar? I’ve never seen a design like it where you can’t secure the tow bar once inserted.

Thanks
Gary

Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Hi Gary. I hope there's someone on this forum who can give you an answer, as there are people from all over.

But, just to forewarn you, Volvo UK only list the retractable towbar for either factory or dealer fit, so I doubt whether any of the UK members can help.

Incidentally, I had ordered a dealer-fit retractable towbar but cancelled it when I realised that connecting anything to it disables Pilot Assist. Do you have the same software versions/rules in Oz?

(Edit: Put the money I saved towards a GoCycle instead :D )
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
DJSad

Post by DJSad »

After reading about the Volvo hitch I decided to purchase my hitch from Stealth Hitches.
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Hi Gary, do you have a photo showing your toe bar? From what I’m imagining, that would be a problem with all those types.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018