Rear View Camera

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Paul 44

Post by Paul 44 »

Thinking of adding this to my new car (not the 360% camera as too expensive) for my wife’s benefit. She’s not great at parking and is worried about scratching the alloys. Does it make parking much easier? She’s used to driving a much smaller car and wondering if the £375 outlay is worth it?
XC40 T3 R design Thunder grey, sunroof, winter pack, front park assist, Apple CarPlay

Bhowani

Post by Bhowani »

My XC40, a week in, is much improved by the rear view camera. You have to get used to the perspective it offers, but well worth the extra outlay.

Bhowani
Ins Pro T4
2019 XC40 T4 - Denim Blue
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

I have the 360 degree camera on the XC40 and a rear view only camera on another car. The rear view camera does make reverse parking easier but doesn't really help much if getting wheels close to a kerb without scratching is the main concern. Both door mirrors angle downwards in reverse gear which is more of a help for judging side tolerances than a rear view camera. It's a personal choice, but I'd be inclined to go for no camera or full 360. The extra cost could save a lot of wheel refurb expenditure!
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.
Hes

Post by Hes »

I wouldn’t bother. If you need to see the curb you can set the mirrors to dip when in reverse or just double tap the mirror selection button and it will dip the mirror
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

I, very grudgingly, paid the obscene cost for the 360, as I think it's superb. I also have a very specific use as I'm involved in setting up charity events where I'm just as concerned with not driving over things as into things - those with small children and/or pets may have similar concerns :lol:

I personally wouldn't pay for rear-view only as, IMHO, the graphic for the sensors is usually just as effective (in judging distance).

However, for anyone who struggles with reversing/spatial awareness, the predicted path lines can be a game-changer. The test drive convinced me that the cameras were awesome quality & they worked brilliantly with the portrait Sensus - only the individual can say whether the predicted path lines make it worth the money for them.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
Don Eladio

Post by Don Eladio »

It depends if you think it will be worth it to be honest. You can just dip the mirrors as someone has said which would allow you to see the curb when reversing, and would save you some money. Having said that, having a rear view camera would most likely overall improve your wife's peace of mind and make her more confident at reverse parking.

If you have the cash to spare then go for it I would say.
Morse

Post by Morse »

I have to say I’ve had several cars with a rear view camera, this is my first with 360 view and I really think it’s one of the best, if not the best feature of the car. I can’t tell you the value in improving the parking experience. My daughters drive the car and one of them in particular has trouble with parking and this really is a brilliant aid in contextualising the position of the car. Expensive yes but worth every penny. Knowing what I know now if I was building the car again this would be the first thing I would have and I would sooner drop all the other extras I specified. I really am that impressed by it.
T5 Inscription Pro, Pine Grey, blond interior . Intellisafe pro Xenium pack, Harmon Kardon. Ordered 25th Sept. 18. Delivered 19 Dec following a cancellation and move to earlier factory assembly slot.