Apple Car Play via Bluetooth

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Mike911SC

Post by Mike911SC »

Can anyone tell me why in a world that is wirelessly connected for almost everything these days, that you need to hardwire your iPhone via USB to get Apple Car Play to work? There are a number of 3rd party Apple Car Play solutions on the market that seem to work either wired or wireless. Has anyone found a way to hack around the USB connector to get Apple Car Play to work via Bluetooth?
XC-40 Momentum | T5 | Amazon Blue with White Roof | 19" White Alloys

scottpcs

Post by scottpcs »

I'm afraid wireless CarPlay doesn't quite work that way as it uses WiFi to connect to the head unit, Bluetooth simply initiates the connection.

In any case it's impossible to get wireless CarPlay or Android Auto to work with the car at present unless Volvo somehow release a software update for the head unit to support it. Personally I very much doubt that it's that simple, even if Volvo fancied the idea.

Unless someone can correct me then the only way to get CarPlay or Android Auto to work with the car is via a USB cable.
XC40 FE D4 AWD Auto - Crystal White ¦ Charcoal ¦ 20" AND Headlight Washers! ¦ Polestar
Busheyboy

Post by Busheyboy »

Such a shame when BMW/Mini allow Apple Carplay to work perfectly well cable-free on their latest products (I had use of a Cooper S last year that allowed this functionality and it was so much less of a faff by not having to plug the cable in).
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Problem is that it uses a lot of battery. Qi charging apparently covers the battery loss, but doesn’t charge any more. May as well plug in that case.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018