Which Fuse for Dashcam Hardwire ?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Pooliepete

Post by Pooliepete »

Picked up my T4 Inscription Pro last week, just spent the morning installing my Nextbase 512GW Dashcam, basic install went fine with wiring well hidden behind trim and no issues.
Tried various fuses under passenger seat but only seem to have picked up permanent feed rather than a switched supply, not an issue but just means I need to manually switch on the camera each time I get in the car.
Anyone already done this and found a particular fuse they’ve used that is switched ?

Wedgie

Post by Wedgie »

I used fuse 12. as the permanent feed and 86 as the switched working well. Don't forget the switched feed goes live if you open the car door with your key which made finding it a pain :)
deanio

Post by deanio »

Can I ask how you managed to access the fuse box under the passenger seat as I couldn’t seem to get to it. Thanks.
White T4 R Design Pro ordered 17/04/18 and supposedly arriving 30/09/18. Picked up 2nd October. :D
Pooliepete

Post by Pooliepete »

The fuse box is located under the passenger seat, move seat as far forward and high as possible then go into it via the rear door, it’s under the carpet although there is a flap for access. Ironically the manual shows a picture with an arrow from the front which had me puzzled initially !
Pooliepete

Post by Pooliepete »

Thanks for suggestion on fuse number, I’ll try that one 👍
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

I'm surprised at your findings as I believe the majority are switched - Wedgie has nailed it on the head, I think, with the way keyless works. (I think I've also read that some switched circuits have a x second delay before switching off???)

I'm only at research stage as still awaiting delivery and got mixed messages from forum about whether any unused slots had incoming live.

My intention is to look for unused slots if poss (e.g. I don't have heated steering wheel, & that would be first port of call for switched live).

Advantage of this method is you can either put piggyback in the right way round, or can put 2 fuses in piggyback if space/layout dictates that the tail should exit in the 'wrong' direction.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
Pooliepete

Post by Pooliepete »

Well, having looked more closely at options I stumbled across a camera mode called “Parking Mode” which actually requires use of a permanent supply.
The camera then automatically reverts to standby after a few minutes when it doesn’t detect movement, ie when you park up and switch off the ignition, then, when it does detect any movement or you open the door and start up it powers back up to recording mode again.
This serves two purposes for me, firstly it switches on and off when I get in or out of the car, stays on whilst driving obviously, but when I leave it parked up it also monitors for any movement and springs into life if it detects anything.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Yep, should have mentioned that.

Previously owned a Nextbase & didn't bother with parking mode as 3 motorbikes, several bicycles, & a fondness for walking meant my car was often left for days on end.

However, once I dug into the specs, I soon realised that Nextbase are INCREDIBLY power efficient & most people can leave them plugged in without worry (I maybe the odd exception :))

Edit P.S: You probably already realise but, it will only wake up if knocked - it doesn't respond to motion in front of camera.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera