All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Goldfish

Post by Goldfish »

Don't know you have seen this .....

T5 twin engine 262hp 425Nm, FWD seven speed dual clutch automatic. Link below

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/cars/new-m ... a7f4ffef40

Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Still no details on when (if) it will be released AFAIK.

Idea has been around since the birth of the CMA platform, as it was part of the original concept.

https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/ ... n-top-view

Problem is with plug ins - WLTP is not kind to them (bit of a shame really, as there is no single real world test that's applicable - it all depends on individual circumstances & the application of common sense).

Allegedly, many of the previous buyers of plug-ins have been company car drivers who were buying them for tax purposes, even though their daily mileage made them unsuitable....and............they weren't even bothering to plug them in. WLTP will put an end to that.

Full electric is increasing in range & falling in price to the extent that hybrids will have a short life IMHO.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

Now I am even more confused! an earlier thread on this categorically claimed it was only going to be FWD but this says AWD. Anyone clearer than me?
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Salmonfisher wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:08 pm Now I am even more confused! an earlier thread on this categorically claimed it was only going to be FWD but this says AWD. Anyone clearer than me?
I can't see where you're seeing AWD but, as I said before, don't be misled if someone has typed in some bad web data somewhere.

The T3 engine was designed specifically to be small enough to mate an electric motor to it & for it all to be under the bonnet. There is no electric motor on the rear axle & no room for a propshaft (as that's where the battery pack lives).
Real name Carl
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

P.S: The final paragraph of the recent press release (below) confirms the T5 twin engine is still planned (soon??) but, interestingly, also mentions a later T4 twin engine.

https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/ ... owertrains
Real name Carl
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

Silver Moose
I am sure you are right. The link above and the spec definitely says AWD but its probably an annoying typo. You would think they would get something so fundamental right!
johnd

Post by johnd »

Think the jury is still out on these Twin engines. The one clear capability - if this suits your usage profile - is that shorter (eg up to 8-10 mile) commutes in EV only mode are really going to help your fuel economy. (And if that's a big concern to you, which I'm sure it is for some, but not a top priority for everyone.)

But there will be some significant downsides too I suspect:

* Extra purchase cost (and will this really be outweighed by extra economy?);

* Extra weight and complexity (= more things to go wrong, more drivetrain management to get used to etc);

* Various reports suggest that the switch between modes on other Twin engines/models is not necessarily smooth and glitchfree, which could become an irritation;

Any effect on performance remains to be seen. But I really wonder if T5 Twin, even if it is configured to allow more total power & torque, is likely to be any better in practice than T5 P*?

Happy to be proved wrong about this once some proper facts & figures emerge, but think on available evidence right now I'd be happier to stick with T5 P* for now and wait for the full XC40 EV.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

@johnd - Totally agree, it's all about driving profile.

They can be fantastic for economy even on slightly longer commutes (e.g. 50% on electric), especially if you can recharge at your workplace. However, it's all about how many longer trips you do - on long motorway runs the T5 twin engine just becomes a T3 with a weight burden.

They're certainly no threat to a 'normal' T5, with or without P*, apart from short periods of willy-waving before the battery goes flat.
Real name Carl
Bright Silver/Charcoal
johnd

Post by johnd »

Yes and forgot to add that I do think that PHEV/Twin cars are being introduced as much (maybe more) for the benefit of manufacturers than for users, for three main reasons:

1. Their average (across their ranges) MPG and CO2 figures are reduced, especially if there's significant sales of the PHEV versions;
2. PR value of demonstrating a commitment to greener cars;
3. It's a stepping stone to a full EV, ie gets the owner used to the idea of running a part-EV vehicle, the charging process etc. In other words, the adoption barrier to buying a full EV in future is being lowered.