Double-tap gearshift

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Quick question for kind owners of auto XC40s:

Whilst I get excited waiting for my new car, I'm always watching u toob videos. I'm fed up of hearing complaints about the double-tap as it's no big deal IMHO.

However, I read a comment on a recent video that piqued my interest. The comment stated that you could go into gear with a pull/push & hold.

Anyone aware of this? If true, how long of a hold is it? If it's a short hold, I might try to train myself from day 1.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera

Hes

Post by Hes »

Doesn’t work for me, it requires a double tap.

It takes very little time to get used to it to be honest, I’ve had my car just over a week and it has become second nature
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Hes wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:30 pm Doesn’t work for me, it requires a double tap.

It takes very little time to get used to it to be honest, I’ve had my car just over a week and it has become second nature
Thanks for response.

Must admit, I was sceptical as it was the one & only time I'd seen it mentioned. Double-tap is no issue for me.........was just curious.
Real name Carl
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Just for completeness, this is the video that contained the comment (amusing review but I think it was the reviewer's 1st day on the job :) )

Real name Carl
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Morse

Post by Morse »

Interesting, I remember those comments from YouTube videos before I bought my car. I really couldn’t understand the issue then and since owning the car understand them even less, there really is no problem or delay in ‘double tapping’ to select the required gear. I’m lying in bed at the moment, but will try the claim when I’m in the car later and report back.
T5 Inscription Pro, Pine Grey, blond interior . Intellisafe pro Xenium pack, Harmon Kardon. Ordered 25th Sept. 18. Delivered 19 Dec following a cancellation and move to earlier factory assembly slot.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I'm sure Mercedes A class was the same when I had one on demo. It's just the lever was on the steering wheel not where a gear stick is normally.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Morse

Post by Morse »

Well tried it and as suspected, didn’t work. 🤣
T5 Inscription Pro, Pine Grey, blond interior . Intellisafe pro Xenium pack, Harmon Kardon. Ordered 25th Sept. 18. Delivered 19 Dec following a cancellation and move to earlier factory assembly slot.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Morse wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:18 pm Well tried it and as suspected, didn’t work. 🤣
Can't say I'm surprised :) Thanks for checking.

Guess the commenter was some schoolboy fantasising that he's got a real car :lol:

Maybe it works on the Playstation version :lol:
Real name Carl
Bright Silver/Charcoal
GerVO

Post by GerVO »

It’s a annoying thing, even after driving my T5 AWD since June 2018, I still hate it.. still hoping a software upgrade will solve it...
Bob

Post by Bob »

I can't see the problem with the 'double tap' myself, but then this is my first automatic.
Having said that, I have driven loads of automatic hire cars, particularly when abroad. If my memory serves me correctly, in those, if I was in 'Park', I would have to pull the lever into 'Neutral', before pulling it back again to get into 'Drive', I see this as no different to having to the double tap, you are effectively pulling the leaver back twice with both.
Not only that, but on older cars you couldn't just shift through the gears as there was a 'dog leg' in the gear gate, i.e. you had to pull the lever back into 'N', then push it to the left (or was it to the right) before you could pull it back again to engage 'D'.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)