Double-tap gearshift

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Deleted User 1240

Post by Deleted User 1240 »

Virtually all my cars have been automatics for the last 20 years and most of the time the double tap is not a problem at all.
However, I do find it a pain when I want to do a quick 3 point turn, for example, and try and rush things.

Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

It's probably just me getting gradually older and grumpier, but I think too many manufacturers think there is a need to be 'different' even if it's not actually better. My Range Rover (and I think probably all JLR autos) has a rotary controller to make the appropriate selection. After 3 years I still have to look at the controller every time to make sure I get it right. The XC40 however I do find much more intuitive, albeit still unnecessarily complicated compared to the traditional layout of an auto 'box lever. At least no-one has yet changed the standard order of the foot pedals in cars...
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

My XC40 is the first automatic I have driven in over 40yrs of driving.
Wouldn't go back to manual now but it seems strange to me that it's not 2 taps forward to go forward and two taps back to go backwards...
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
johnd

Post by johnd »

Guess in part it may depend on how many cars, especially autos, you drive on a regular basis. If it's the only one then it's difficult to imagine anyone not getting used to the double tap pdq. OTOH if you're often switching between cars then yes it might be a bit more irritating.
elysio

Post by elysio »

5 months of driving later, I got used to it in most circumstances. It does get annoying when doing 3-point turns as pointed out previously, or in any other situation where you need to switch between R and D multiple times. I wish they use the BMW system where N is like a half-way detent that you can push through in either direction, so that it would be a single push from R to D or from D to R (and N is stopping at the half-way detent).
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Think people quickly adapt (apart from my wife!) to whatever they drive - my last car was a Mercedes with the auto shifter on the right hand side of the steering column, if the weather was bad my wife would regularly shift the car in to neutral whilst trying to turn on the wipers! Likewise I'd often get in to her Tiguan and activate the wipers whilst trying to select a direction, even though it's a manual.

We did try a few auto XC40's and I wasn't overly impressed with the operation of the 'box but sure would have been fine with it if we hadn't chosen to go for a manual.
CelticXC40

Post by CelticXC40 »

I find absolutely fine and quickly adapted to the system. I also drive another automatic a VW Golf with the standard shift system. My problem comes when I get into my classic Porsche and have to change gear and use a clutch! I quite like the Volvo system.
XC40 Inscription pro - T4 - Auto AWD - Pine Grey - Blonde Leather - 19" wheels - Intellisafe pro Pack, Tinted windows, Keyless drive, wireless charging, Xenium pack, Towbar, Spare wheel. Delivered 22nd January 2019.
designer

Post by designer »

Its a bit frustrating that R is forwards and D is backwards.
XC40 T4 R-DESIGN
johnd

Post by johnd »

designer wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:34 pm Its a bit frustrating that R is forwards and D is backwards.
Agree that it seems less logical but given that most people drive forwards more often than backwards then the XC40 is actually the same as most other autos, ie to get from P to D in my current auto it's three notches back. So it's really reverse that's a bit different!
trjim2k5

Post by trjim2k5 »

I didn’t have any issues with the XC40 gearshift...got used to it within 2-3 days and have since missed the gear change only once or twice when I was not very focused. 3 point turns are fine as the gearshift is very responsive and you can instantly tap twice to select the gear. I also like how clean and uncluttered the gearshift area looks compared to normal autos. What I find a bit more annoying is that the gearbox is somewhat lethargic, but can’t complain too much as it’s otherwise a brilliant car.
XC40 | Inscription Pro | D3 FWD Auto | Denim Blue | Ordered 29/03/18 | Delivered 29/09/18