Brakes

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Paul 44

Post by Paul 44 »

New to the forum. Close to ordering new R Design, but seen a video review that said the biggest issue with the car is the sensitivity of the brakes. He said you barely have to touch them. Just wondering how owners have found this?
XC40 T3 R design Thunder grey, sunroof, winter pack, front park assist, Apple CarPlay

Ian333

Post by Ian333 »

Hiya,
I’ve got an R Design and find the brakes absolutely fine. There is an option in the drive mode selector to change the sensitivity of them as well.
I’ve had an M3 and a R35 GTR previously so am used to ‘sporty’ cars and the XC40 brakes are absolutely ok compared.
Ordered T5 R-Design Pro with most of the bells and whistles in early May ‘18 and received delivery at end of Jan ‘19
Very Happy 😃... especially now it’s Polestarred
Hes

Post by Hes »

As above, to me the brakes are fine. They’re easy to modulate and not too firm
johnd

Post by johnd »

Paul 44 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:32 am Close to ordering new R Design, but seen a video review that said the biggest issue with the car is the sensitivity of the brakes. He said you barely have to touch them. Just wondering how owners have found this?

That would be the savagegeese one? ?

I like their reviews - they're stylish, literate and generally well-informed technically. But as far as I can recall that's the only detailed XC40 review out of many on YT that highlights brakes as a concern. Most of the others either don't really mention the brakes or, if they do, praise them as solid and well-modulated. I don't know whether the SG reviewer has some special sensitivity to brake set-up or maybe if their review car had a problem, but it's safe to say that no other reviewer AFAIK shares the SG opinion on XC40 brakes as over-sensitive.
TrevG

Post by TrevG »

My R Design brakes are fine they are sharp but not over sensitive and after a few hours driving you appreciate just how good they are .My previous car BMW X1 had similar brakes and were never a problem no matter what the weather conditions.The only issues I have with the brakes is the moaning noise when pulling away with auto hand brake.
XC40 R Design T4 Fusion Red, winter pack, electric tailgate,Sunroof, reversing camera, mud flaps ,boot liner, fitted rubber mats, and spare wheel
Paul 44

Post by Paul 44 »

Yes that was the review. I’ve watched many different reviews and this was the only one where the brakes were highlighted as an issue. Thanks for the replies, you’ve put my mind at rest
XC40 T3 R design Thunder grey, sunroof, winter pack, front park assist, Apple CarPlay
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

The brakes on my T4 Inscription Pro did seem a bit sharp and grabby at first but I think this was just newness and it soon wore off. They are now just like the brakes on any modern car, powerful but lacking some of the feel you used to get in days of yore...
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.
NeuroMancer13

Post by NeuroMancer13 »

The brakes on the test drive car was extremely sensitive. I thought "ok that's kool 'cause i always had brakes that was unreliable in the past so now I don't mind at all even if I have superbrakes like these. I even prefer these "no joke brakes"".
But the brakes on my car are different from the ones on the test drive. It's as if they aknowledged the issue (that was not an issue to me) and they fixed it somehow.
T5/Inscription/21''/DenimBlue-Amber/FullPack/Polestared
xc40nz

Post by xc40nz »

NeuroMancer13 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:19 pm The brakes on the test drive car was extremely sensitive. I thought "ok that's kool 'cause i always had brakes that was unreliable in the past so now I don't mind at all even if I have superbrakes like these. I even prefer these "no joke brakes"".
But the brakes on my car are different from the ones on the test drive. It's as if they aknowledged the issue (that was not an issue to me) and they fixed it somehow.
Exactly same here. Word-by-word.
T4 Inscription + all options + sport pedals ;)