Software Upgrades

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Gravity

Post by Gravity »

In case anyone may be interested, I have connected my XC40 direct to my home WiFi router from my driveway and just download things like map updates direct (not via a USB stick as mentioned in manual).
XC40 D4 R Design Pro Bursting Blue

Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Does the car engine have to be on while it downloads via home wifi?
T4 Inscription: Pine Grey, Blond interior + Intellisafe Surround + 360 camera + rear tinted windows. Ordered mid-Sep 2018, delivered 6th Feb 2019.
CelticXC40

Post by CelticXC40 »

It would be interesting to know how long it took. I downloaded to a USB stick and that took over 5 hours. Then a further couple of hours in the car from USB to car. Ignition was on when in the car.
XC40 Inscription pro - T4 - Auto AWD - Pine Grey - Blonde Leather - 19" wheels - Intellisafe pro Pack, Tinted windows, Keyless drive, wireless charging, Xenium pack, Towbar, Spare wheel. Delivered 22nd January 2019.
abby606

Post by abby606 »

It's a shame you can't have the car connect to WiFi when at home (and the router is in range) but when it's not have it connect using the installed SIM card (car modem internet or something). I think you have to switch manually.
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

Gravity, what exactly do you have to do please?
drjamesr

Post by drjamesr »

I finally got the car to connect to the home broadband. As I think is mentioned on another thread, the modem in the house has to be near the car. On a BT home hub 5, 15 ft is fine. At 25ft no network was detected.

The steps are Settings/Communication/Wi-fi Connect car to mobile hotspot/tick the Wi-fi box/wait for networks to be detected/enter password for home modem. No need to change any security settings on the modem

Downloading: Once wi-fi connection established Home screen should show system and Application update boxes. If not go to Downlaod Manager on left swipe from Home screen. Click either system or app update. Then click type of update required from top of next screen, eg Maps. Choose the update you want (the available update should be showing at top, eg North West Europe in Maps. Click and data will download and then install.

On 60mb/sec fibre broadband the 332mb download took about 8 minutes. Installation is a glacial 5% in 4 minutes. Downloading is ok with car engine off but ignition on. Unfortunately the car will turn itself off if left so there is no real alternative but to let the system install the update while driving. The Download manager app works very well remembering where it got to if the car is stopped and the ingnition switched off.
XC40 Inscription, D4 AWD, Pine Grey, black leather faced, 19” double spoke #924, Xenium, Intellisense surround, Winter/Htd wheel, Spare wheel
morrishey

Post by morrishey »

After connecting to home WiFi, is the car smart enough to switch automatically to the built in modem when you move out of range, or did you have to do that manually. I still can’t ge5 mine to see the WiFi at the moment, about 10 metres away through one external wall.
XC40 T5 FE, Fusion Red, 20inch wheels.
Ordered 15th March. Delivery, originally June, delivered 26th October.
drjamesr

Post by drjamesr »

I think 10metres will be far too far away and that is the problem. BT's ads suggest it has the strongest signal available and that worked for me only after moving the modem to a window overlooking the car just a couple of metres away. No problems after that at all.

I can't say what happens to downloads if you move out of range of a home hub. For me the home hub is the free alternative to payg. Just checking what apps needed upgrading used 300mb of my payg phone allowance at 1p per MB. Not cheap. If you have unlimited data on a mobile phone go for it! I suspect switching to a mobile phone data service would restart the whole process. But maybe the download manager can splice data from two sources together, and that would be impressive.
XC40 Inscription, D4 AWD, Pine Grey, black leather faced, 19” double spoke #924, Xenium, Intellisense surround, Winter/Htd wheel, Spare wheel
morrishey

Post by morrishey »

Thanks drjamesr, that's what I was suspecting about the range.

I've got a 12 month pre-pay 3 sim in the car at the moment, so I'm not short on data. I'd recommend looking at the 3 are sim with IIRC 300mb free data per month. I've put one in the wife's VW for downloading traffic data and other little bits like that and it's perfect. Obviously not going to last long if you try downloading a map update!
XC40 T5 FE, Fusion Red, 20inch wheels.
Ordered 15th March. Delivery, originally June, delivered 26th October.
drjamesr

Post by drjamesr »

Sounds tempting Morrishey!