XC40 suitable for tall and small drivers?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
tomtallon

Post by tomtallon »

My wife and I have a terrible dilemma in common with , I'm sure, a number of others. She is 5ft 1 and I'm 6 ft. Our last two BMW 3 series models are perfect for me because BMW make low slung 3 series cars for 6 footers and certainly not for women.

So can anyone on the forum give me from experience a recommendation whether the XC40 would be accommodating with good vision for two regular drivers - large and small. Note that I'll be going for powered memory seats which we find indispensable.

Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

Tomtallon
Can't speak for your wife but I find it ideal for tall drivers - much better adjustment than my Tiguan and one of the few cars I have ever not moved to furthest back seat position.
Surely the answer is a test drive for both of you.
tomtallon

Post by tomtallon »

Thanks to S. Of course we will but if there's a couple out there with similar problems now overcome, I'd be grateful for the full SP.
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

Hi Tom

My wife and I are near identical heights to you and can both get very comfortable driving positions with good visibility. The glass roof still leaves plenty of headroom for me. Ours is an auto so I cannot comment on clutch operation if relevant to you. The 360 degree camera option also works well (unlike some I've experienced) for parking visibility.
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.
tomtallon

Post by tomtallon »

Thanks to B above. Good to know you both are happy so thats a boost for us too. Also the same will be the gearbox we opt for; we've only driven auto BMWs for the last 6 years and find it much the best for overall use. I don't think my projected T5 Inscription has a glass roof but no matter - it does have powered memory seats as we have now.
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

I'm a towering 5'7" and get on OK with my Inscription. If you are organising test drives I'd suggest that you try models both with and without the seat cushion extensions (I think that they come standard with the 'Pro' models) as I found that with my short legs that I got on better without them.
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
andygou

Post by andygou »

Tomtallon, we have the same issue: my better half is 5'0" and I'm 5'11". With every other car we've shared, changing drivers positions between us has been a real pain. With the XC40 we have our individual memory settings to set the seat and mirrors, and don't even need to reset the steering wheel as one position works well for both of us - never had that before!

Comfortwise, we both find the driving position great. My wife finds it hard to see over the top of the instrument panel on some cars (rejected the T-Roc on that basis) but the XC40 is fine.
T5 FE Bursting Blue, 19" wheels, no headlamp cleaning. Ordered 24 February, arrived at dealer 25 April, delivered 30 April.
Wedgie

Post by Wedgie »

Same for us I am 5'11 my wife is 4'10 no issues - the memory function linked to each key and the power seats/wing mirrors make everything very easy
tomtallon

Post by tomtallon »

Thanks to W and Andy - just the sort of informed experience I was looking for - very grateful.

Now the hard part, I have to discuss with my wife who gets very bored with car talk...........zzzzzzzzzz.