NEW ANDROID SENSUS INFOTAIMENT TO BE RELEASED ON FEB 27th

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Gherdial, I don’t think the current system is QNX. From what I’ve read, the old small screen with lots of buttons and rotating dial in the previous generation of cars was Windows Embedded, but they apparently changed to QNX for the latest version.

From a deep OS perspective, this is far superior to Android based on LINUX. QNX, I believe, is so stable it’s used by nuclear power stations. Android phones are forever crashing.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018

Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Gherdial wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:13 pm “Available on XC40 2020 models” so end of 2019.
MY20 models are from April '19, according to Volvo NL

Edit P.S: For anyone interested, you can view the Polestar 2 presentation here:

https://www.media.volvocars.com/uk/en-g ... polestar-2
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
globocs

Post by globocs »

This is all great news for new XC40 owners, however I'm afraid pre MY20 owners might get screwed by this.

I'm not sure Volvo will allow retrofitting the new unit (and the corresponding instrument cluster).

Even if they would allow it (which is a big IF), it will probably cost a lot.
johnd

Post by johnd »

globocs wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:00 am I'm not sure Volvo will allow retrofitting the new unit (and the corresponding instrument cluster).
Why do you think there is any change of hardware involved? (Not saying there might not be, but the simplest assumption is that it's just a software change, much the same way that you can run Linux on a standard PC as a complete change from Windows, should you choose to do so, just by loading a Linux installation from a download or CD.)
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

Does anyone have any definitive info re when MY20 arrives in UK. I see Silver Moose says April in Netherlands? Interested as my delivery date is currently late April but warned it may slip a bit. So do I hope for a short delay??? Or do all current orders come through as MY19 irrespective of when delivered?
johnd

Post by johnd »

Salmonfisher wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:44 am Does anyone have any definitive info re when MY20 arrives in UK. I see Silver Moose says April in Netherlands?
I don't have any definitive insights but from the information that seems to be out there, it seems logical to say:

1. The factory in Belgium will switch to MY20 on a given date (ie assuming it's sometime in April that would be eg week 14 to 17 at some point). There is unlikely to be production of MY19 for some countries at the same time as MY20 for others - I imagine it will be a concerted change to MY20 on some specific day.

2. If your car has a build date before the switchover date then it will be MY19, otherwise MY20.

It's difficult to say more without knowing when the switchover date actually is.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

P.S: I was being slightly flippant re MY20 date as I was trying to stress that MY20 doesn't NECESSARILY mean end of '19

We should, of course, remember there are 2 changes a year for most manufacturers - one around Apr/May & another around Oct/Nov.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

globocs wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:00 am This is all great news for new XC40 owners, however I'm afraid pre MY20 owners might get screwed by this.

I'm not sure Volvo will allow retrofitting the new unit (and the corresponding instrument cluster).

Even if they would allow it (which is a big IF), it will probably cost a lot.
"get screwed"??
You knew the current spec of the car when you ordered it. If you want to "upgrade" it post purchase then why should VOLVO carry the cost of doing that? Is moving to Android really an upgrade? I think you'll find opinions are split on this...
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
globocs

Post by globocs »

I guess my wording was not the best...I should've found a better word than "screwed".

I wouldn't ask for Volvo to carry the cost of the upgrade, however I would prefer my spec not to be technically limited in performing the upgrade. I would pay money for such an upgrade.

Why, you would ask? Some of my reasons are:
1. the expectation of a better performing unit
2. Google Maps (and maybe other navigation apps) in the instrument cluster. For specs like mine that don't have the current Sensus navigation, this would be good
3. better supported apps - since they're standard Android apps (albeit approved to work in the car)
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

globocs wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:24 pm I guess my wording was not the best...I should've found a better word than "screwed".

I wouldn't ask for Volvo to carry the cost of the upgrade, however I would prefer my spec not to be technically limited in performing the upgrade. I would pay money for such an upgrade.

Why, you would ask? Some of my reasons are:
1. the expectation of a better performing unit
2. Google Maps (and maybe other navigation apps) in the instrument cluster. For specs like mine that don't have the current Sensus navigation, this would be good
3. better supported apps - since they're standard Android apps (albeit approved to work in the car)
You may have guessed from my response that I’m not a fan of Android. My experiences with it have not been good ones. Sony TVs are a good example. The old in-house operating system was fast and simple to use. The new TVs with Android TV are shockingly bad. User interface is so slow to respond to controls and more lost//broken features than added new ones.
I got rid of mine and won’t buy another tv with an Android os.
If Volvo go Android then my XC40 will be my first and last Volvo...
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.