NEW ANDROID SENSUS INFOTAIMENT TO BE RELEASED ON FEB 27th

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Gherd

Post by Gherd »

On February the 27th Volvo is going to introduce the Polestar 2 electric car with the totally a redesigned android based Sensus infotainment.

The system will be supporting more than 2000 apps including a full integration of Google AI voice assistant and google maps and services.

The same system is slated to replace soon the current windows based infotainment found on our XC40s.

Follow the presentation live on feb the 27th: https://www.polestar.com

See the promotional preview video:

23BFC78F-71EC-4348-9C9A-05E22E6ACFA0.jpeg

NeuroMancer13

Post by NeuroMancer13 »

Do you know if all we who already have the XC40 can upgrate our system to the new one?
T5/Inscription/21''/DenimBlue-Amber/FullPack/Polestared
johnd

Post by johnd »

Headline for this thread is potentially misleading. It's the Polestar 2 model that is being launched which happens to have the new Android Sensus.

But there's no obvious read-across to suggest that the same new AS will become available for existing Sensus-compatible models on that date. Hopefully that might happen at some stage before too long (and indeed it would be nice to think that MY20 XC40 cars will have AS but somehow I doubt it though v happy to be proved wrong!) but I'm not sure that 27th Feb is going to be the date on which AS downloads will suddenly become available for existing owners.
NeuroMancer13

Post by NeuroMancer13 »

Ok I quess the question comes to: Is it a software or a hardware matter? Cause if it's "based on Sensus infotainment" as it says, then it's a software thing and I can't see why it cannot be available to existing XC40 owners even on the 27th of Feb.
On the other hand maybe I only see what I want to see 8-)
johnd

Post by johnd »

NeuroMancer13 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:17 am Ok I quess the question comes to: Is it a software or a hardware matter?
Only Volvo engineers will really know the answer to that. But I'd imagine that the computer hardware that runs Sensus in the XC40 is capable of running AS in the sense of CPU power, memory and general hardware compatibility. But there are then two questions:

1. Are all the hooks into the XC40 car operating hardware fully developed and proven. Some of these systems are likely to be different, at least in detail, from Polestar 2.

2. Has the whole AS system been thoroughly tested in the XC40? We know from the videos that development in the XC40 is well under way and seems to have reached alpha if not beta testing. But that's not the same as being 100% ready for release to the general public.
NeuroMancer13

Post by NeuroMancer13 »

The commercial shows an XC40 and talks about "a new developed software".
The Polestar site says: "Ever been frustrated with your car navigation? Tried to use voice control? We know there’s a better way for the driver and the vehicle to interact. We’ve identified the aspects of automotive retail which make it difficult, and we’ve developed an approach that will put the fun back in the process."
I got my car 10 days ago and most of the xc40 owners less than a year ago. If it doesn't concern us, then it is misleading which I don't think it is.
aj05

Post by aj05 »

Another polestar upgrade?
ChrisS777

Post by ChrisS777 »

Hi all,
see this link:
[https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/volv ... olestar-2/]

Interesting text is:

Expanding on that, Green confirmed the new infotainment interface "will follow afterwards in the Volvo CMA vehicles -- the XC40."
That said, it won't be long before every Volvo's in-car tech is powered by Google's Android software. "After [XC40], it will roll out in the SPA cars, the larger vehicles," Green said. "It will go into all of our Volvo vehicles. Even before we launch SPA 2 [in 2021] it will have rolled out in almost all the Volvo vehicles."

So may be we have a chance to get this upgrade this year or next year ?
Gherdial

Post by Gherdial »

Sensus / Android was shown to the press on the XC40 already in May 2018.

“Available on XC40 2020 models” so end of 2019. Here another video:

Gherdial

Post by Gherdial »

Note also that current Windows based Sensus is a a HUGE problem for Volvo

They system problems have brought the brand to the very bottom of reliability chart by Consumer Reports

https://247wallst.com/autos/2018/10/25/ ... cks-volvo/