Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018

Flatman5

Post by Flatman5 »

Got to agree not a fan of Android either
johnd

Post by johnd »

Not sure what's really being said here re Android. Can't see any chance that Volvo are going to change their minds now and backtrack on using Android as a core OS.

You'd also like to think that Volvo would not release a new OS without being confident that's it's eg 99.999% reliable, which is not quite the same as saying that it will never glitch or freeze, but isn't that an inevitable part of using modern display technology. It's not absolutely perfect but is substantially more cost-effective and flexible than older approaches. Any comparable technology in other makes/models is not immune from this same problem.

Are you going to avoid Volvo completely as a make just because it uses (a largely invisible) Android? What about other makes/models that are also likely to use Android in future? And still further makes that use a different OS but which still don't achieve perfect reliability. Personally think I'd prefer to use Android than eg an Apple-based OS.
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Hi John, I’m the complete opposite. At least with Apple, you’re the customer, not the product!

I agree that as we add more technology, there’s more room for component failure, and were seeing that. The luxury marks are the ones struggling with reliability by most measures, and it’s the new tech they’re employing that’s failing.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

NeuroMancer13 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:27 am Do you know if all we who already have the XC40 can upgrate our system to the new one?
I read an article somewhere (can't remember where) that was (purportedly) quoting from Volvo. Crux of it was:

- Polestar 2 1st
- CMA next
- UPGRADE available to existing SPA models
- Finally SPA2 (starting with 3rd-gen XC90)

Now......whether they just forgot to mention upgrade for CMA.....or whether there are limitations to existing hardware on current XC40....answers on a postcard!!!

Edit P.S: Tried to find article but couldn't. Did find this one (which does quote Volvo) & it only refers to 'roll out' to SPA - doesn't say anything about upgrades.

ttps://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/volvo-google ... olestar-2/
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

johnd wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:37 am Not sure what's really being said here re Android. Can't see any chance that Volvo are going to change their minds now and backtrack on using Android as a core OS.

You'd also like to think that Volvo would not release a new OS without being confident that's it's eg 99.999% reliable, which is not quite the same as saying that it will never glitch or freeze, but isn't that an inevitable part of using modern display technology. It's not absolutely perfect but is substantially more cost-effective and flexible than older approaches. Any comparable technology in other makes/models is not immune from this same problem.

Are you going to avoid Volvo completely as a make just because it uses (a largely invisible) Android? What about other makes/models that are also likely to use Android in future? And still further makes that use a different OS but which still don't achieve perfect reliability. Personally think I'd prefer to use Android than eg an Apple-based OS.
It's not the reliability that is the issue with Android for me. It's the fact that it is so slow and cumbersome.
It tries to be all things to all applications and as a consequence it's full of compromise and workarounds.
Manufacturers will do their best to skin the interface to suit their vehicles but at the end of the day they are tied down by the underlying Android base...

I prefer an O/S that is designed and tuned for the end product....
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
mesaka

Post by mesaka »

Just to mention that I ordered my Momentum Pro T4 last week and the papers refer to MY20. Delivery is estimated for end-June.