Windscreen washers

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
libbers

Post by libbers »

Slightly odd question, but when you activate your windscreen washers, do they emit a constant stream of fluid, or is it more of a pulse - like 1 second on, 1 second off, etc?

Had my car in the garage for a few days this week, having a "wiper fault" error looked at (the wipers were working, but washer jets were not). The car has come back and the washers most definitely do spray in short pulses now, but I seem to recall that before the fault it was a constant flow... but I'm not sure if I really paid that much attention actually so may be making that up πŸ™ƒ
T4 R-Design Pro | Bursting Blue | Convinience, Xenium, Intellisafe Surround & HK Sound | Ordered 30 April, Collected 19 December πŸŽ‰

hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Constant flow on mine.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
libbers

Post by libbers »

Thanks, that's what I thought.

I wonder what they've done... they had the car in for 4 days with this fault, giving off a definite air of "we don't know what's wrong". In the end they told me they replaced the wiper motor, but I'm not clear how that fixed a wiper fluid issue, or why now the fluid has a different flow.
T4 R-Design Pro | Bursting Blue | Convinience, Xenium, Intellisafe Surround & HK Sound | Ordered 30 April, Collected 19 December πŸŽ‰
Peter G

Post by Peter G »

Maybe the tubes are bent or obstructed in some way? Or dirt in the hose. I had a Touran with same issue. Took the hose off the washer and there were some nasty stuff dripping out. Then blew with compressed air in the tube from washer to fluid reservoir. Problem solved.
2018 XC40 D4 AWD AUT Black Onyx Momentum First Mover
morrishey

Post by morrishey »

Mine only squirt when the wipers are moving one way - can't remember if it's upward or downward! Seems sensible to me, and saves wasting water by double coating the screen before the wipers come back.
XC40 T5 FE, Fusion Red, 20inch wheels.
Ordered 15th March. Delivery, originally June, delivered 26th October.
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

I've just got a similar problem, at the mounting part onto the wiper arm, I now get a random stream and on loking at the jet, that part of the arm has 5 jets: 2 facing left when parked, 2 pointed at the screen and one pointing right. It looks like the jet has blown out of the one pointing right... Call to the local dealer methinks
RonFleet

Post by RonFleet »

morrishey wrote: ↑Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:09 pm Mine only squirt when the wipers are moving one way - can't remember if it's upward or downward! Seems sensible to me, and saves wasting water by double coating the screen before the wipers come back.
Mine squirt washer fluid on the upstroke only.
Cheers,
Ron

XC40 B3 Plus Automatic
Fjord Blue
bigboots

Post by bigboots »

mine only spray when the wipers are in the low part of the screen, stop spraying the moment they start to wipe
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Mine does it in bursts, never looked at whether it's upstroke or down stroke. I guess to save a bit of water
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21