Four-C Active Suspension

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
MSMiller

Post by MSMiller »

I am thinking of buying an XC40 Inscription and have been trying to find some real world reviews. Can anyone with this feature share there experiences on the ride and if you think it is an option to tick. Many Thanks

Ian333

Post by Ian333 »

I’ve got 4C on my R-Design and can definitely tell the difference between comfort and dynamic so it’s doing something!
You can ‘feel’ the bumps and ridges in dynamic whilst it’s very smooth in Comfort. Also doesn’t tip as much when pushing on through corners when in dynamic.
I like having the choice but recognise it is an expensive option.
I haven’t tried a non 4C car except for a 60 minute test drive in a FE but that was about 9 months ago and I can’t really remember the ride quality.
You pays your money, you take your choice!
Ordered T5 R-Design Pro with most of the bells and whistles in early May ‘18 and received delivery at end of Jan ‘19
Very Happy 😃... especially now it’s Polestarred
yuha78

Post by yuha78 »

i am think of buying a XC40 too, and i am interrested by the Four-C but i'ts difficult to find a test. The main mode of ride be eco or comfort. How is the ride in comfort or eco, in term of roll ? Without Four-c, it's very smouth but i wonder with this aspect.
Thx
ordered T3 Geartronic - Inscription with options (sun roof-pro pilote)
Chris-croft

Post by Chris-croft »

https://www.whatcar.com/volvo/xc40/esta ... n-the-road

I couldn't have 4c on my T5 FE, there where no options available.

I've got it on a VW and really like it, not for the adjustable mode button (never use it, always in "Normal mode"; but its ability to stiffen and relax each shocker, and adjust that 1000 times per second using gyroscopes/accelerometers/brake & steering inputs etc etc seems all good to me.

But when whatcar tried an XC40 with it, they didn't like it compared to an R-design standard set up????? so there you have it, from one source anyway.
T5 FE GREY OUTSIDE; BLACK INSIDE; 20" RIMS; Oct 19 DEL with P*
johnd

Post by johnd »

Chris-croft wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:21 pm But when whatcar tried an XC40 with it, they didn't like it compared to an R-design standard set up????? so there you have it, from one source anyway.
What Car do often have some oddball opinions though. I've seen many WC reviews over the years where some issue gets picked up as a demerit but for which other reviewers have a completely contrary view.

Their conclusion might or might not be accurate but personally it's absolutely not something I would trust. Did they really try all of standard and R-Design suspensions both with and without 4C? If so, they seem to to be the only reviewers worldwide that had that luxury and so personally I would doubt it. More likely it's a second-hand opinion (or maybe reviewer prejudice) carried across from testing some other model. Or maybe, if I'm feeling more charitable, they compared an R-Design on 21" wheels and with 4C to a regular Momentum or Inscription on 18/19" and without 4C. But without any detail in the report it's impossible to say for sure.
yuha78

Post by yuha78 »

Yes, that's exactly what i want from a serious test. Details about the features. The XC40 is never test with the 4C. And without clear information, i will stay with sport suspension, with 18 or 19" wheels.
ordered T3 Geartronic - Inscription with options (sun roof-pro pilote)
MSMiller

Post by MSMiller »

Many thanks for all your input. I will be ordering a D4 Inscription on Monday providing they give me a good deal on my current XC60. I will be ordering without the 4C.
johnd

Post by johnd »

Interesting. Think if I order (haven't made a final decision yet) it will be a T5 Inspiration Pro with Polestar on 19" wheels and with 4C to provide some extra damping control. (Not sure I want the 20" wheels off the R-Design, though they look good, and prefer the driftwood decor. Shame about no paddles on Inspiration though, but TBH I rarely use them on my current drive - flicking into Sport (ie dynamic) mode is usually enough and hopefully the same would be true on a T5+Polestar.)
Chris-croft

Post by Chris-croft »

I have the T5 with polestar. and in dynamic mode, the drop down; and pick up are very fast indeed. There is very very little lag and delay, a proper little hot-hatch
T5 FE GREY OUTSIDE; BLACK INSIDE; 20" RIMS; Oct 19 DEL with P*
Backache Solver

Post by Backache Solver »

I owned an XC70 for 5 years with the Four C chassis option installed having just Comfort and Sport modes at the time. I have to say that it was the most comfortable and most fun to drive car that I have owned so far.
Unfortunately, Volvo don’t promote this enough and they should certainly have it on their demo cars, that way they will turn more test drives into sales.
I did read that someone thought that the comfort mode just switched off the Sport mode, but oh no, the comfort mode still monitored all the bumps, it just swallowed them up. I have always driven long distances (30 000 miles / year) and have felt refreshed after a long drive due to the smoothness of the ride.
In Sport mode, you could really push the car. I know that the motoring press usually gave poor reviews of the handling of many Volvos, but in my opinion, they’re more fun to push on a bendy road.
I had a V6 3L Jaguar XF that won many journalist’s approval, however, it seemed boring in my opinion as it just rode on rails and you were just a pilot. The Volvo involved more senses and kept me awake.
I’m now driving an XC60 SE without four-C and I feel every bump in the road.
MY next car will definitely have FOUR-C Chassis option fitted.