Wheels 19 or 20 inch

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Barry

Post by Barry »

What size wheels would you recommend for a r design in terms of comfort and road noise? I like a quiet comfortable ride.
I live in the uk which let’s face it don’t have the best roads. Would be interested in anyone’s opinion.

Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

Tbh I can't remember my test drive as that's the only time I've driven the car with 20's on. I got 19's because when I ordered mine 20's weren't available.

Haven't any issues with comfort on the 19's but not sure how much difference is between them
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
PC40

Post by PC40 »

I’ve got 19’s that I ordered through choice. I could have had 20’s without any problem when I ordered (Oct 17).
I’ve got no regrets at all with the choice as I find the smaller wheels give a comfortable ride. The deeper side walls also help avoid any risk of kerbing the wheels. I find road noise to be acceptable except on corrugated surfaces but then every car suffers with this. The car doesn’t suffer badly from tramlining either.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
Gre

Post by Gre »

Barry wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:45 pm What size wheels would you recommend for a r design in terms of comfort and road noise? I like a quiet comfortable ride.
I live in the uk which let’s face it don’t have the best roads. Would be interested in anyone’s opinion.
I got the 20s and I’m happy with my choice. They are a bit wider (245) vs 235 for the 19s. The 20s look really nice, however if your main concern is comfort the the 19s is a more sensible choice. This does not mean that the 20s are not comfortable. On another note , the r design have a stiffer suspension than the one on the momentum and inscription models.
D4 R design FE bright silver 20 wheels.
ZED

Post by ZED »

I went from 21” to 19” and what a huge difference in terms of ride quality. Have not regretted it in the slightest. Also, in snow superb.

ZED
XC40 D4 FE Polestar Crystal White. Charcoal Interior. 20” Wheels. Ordered 16 March, 2018
Original ETA June 2018 - now end of October 2018
CelticXC40

Post by CelticXC40 »

I have 19" wheels by choice and they are fine. I concur with an earlier statement about kerbing and potholes, I wanted the higher side walls because I often drive down cart tracks visiting river banks to go fly fishing. I had what I term rubber band tyres on an earlier V70 and had terrible trouble with the tyre walls.
XC40 Inscription pro - T4 - Auto AWD - Pine Grey - Blonde Leather - 19" wheels - Intellisafe pro Pack, Tinted windows, Keyless drive, wireless charging, Xenium pack, Towbar, Spare wheel. Delivered 22nd January 2019.
senwar

Post by senwar »

I've got 19's because the 20's weren't available.

Didn't notice much difference on the test drive (20s) to be honest but I would have preferred (and still do) the 20's just due to the looks. Beautiful wheels in my opinion.
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
Faria

Post by Faria »

I have kerbed my 20 inch wheel which has ended up needing to change the tyre and wheel. I dont find the ride quality to be great in 20 inch. Now regretting the decision of getting the 20 inch as kerbing is often unavoidable 😔
Only Me

Post by Only Me »

Barry wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:45 pm What size wheels would you recommend for a r design in terms of comfort and road noise? I like a quiet comfortable ride.

I bought a RDesign T4 AWD and just specced the standard 18" wheels. They look good, for the wheel arches well, and drive good, I'm very happy with my purchase.
Last edited by Only Me on Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

I've 19s too on my D$ R Design and they are fine. as another fisherman who uses rough and muddy tracks I totally agree less likely to split them.