Can't wait to get rid

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
squint

Post by squint »

I've had - and still having - a multitude of problems plus numerous error messages which are false - I'm going to reject mine
Regretfully rejected R Design, Glacier Silver, T4 Auto FWD Convenience Pack, Front Park Assist,Power Glass Tilt & Slide,Smartphone Integration,Winter Pack, Mudflaps

Ringer

Post by Ringer »

This topic certainly reminds me of the Discovery Sport forum,and those wishing to reject their cars.

I guess, Jap car forums, get least complaints.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I had a DS for 12 months which I didn't reject but traded in. The XC40 is an absolute delight to own and drive.

There are always dissatisfied customers with any marque and online forums naturally attract people who are dissatisfied. The low level of dissatisfaction on this forum is quite a relief after the DS.

Potential buyers should be reassured by the high performance of the XC40 in the reliability assessments so far.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Lightning

Post by Lightning »

I’ve just read this thread and listened to the video. The sound from the speakers on the O/P’s XC40 is pretty rubbish and it seems that Volvo has no fix for it.
Unless the bass settings are turned up too high (the O/P says they aren’t) then it seems the speakers just can’t cope with the music he’s playing.
I used to fit car audio and that sound is the speaker vibrating.
“Air woofers” are not the best thing either. They do improve bass but it’s a cheap solution.
Standard “line fit” speakers can be a bit rubbish, but can’t you just fit better ones?
Plus fit a proper compact subwoofer somewhere.
Any car audio store should be able to upgrade the standard speakers, sure it will maybe cost a few hundred pounds to do them all but it would be worth it rather than all the stress and trips to the dealer.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

grl wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:12 pm The track that really sets it off at the minute is Billie Eilish - everything i wanted
My car is almost half year old and I was totally satisfied with the High Performance audio system sound quality UNTIL I played this “evil” track. It does indeed set off some weird vibrations in my speakers :evil:
Lightning

Post by Lightning »

It’s just too much for the speakers.

The “air woofer” it’s using for bass is not an actual speaker, it’s a chamber with a Rubber diaphragm in it.
Some HI-FI speakers use a secondary diaphragm to increase the bass.

Better speakers will cure it or turn down the bass.
You don’t even need to change all the speakers, just the midrange drivers.

For example l’ve got a 2005 Land Rover Defender and the sound quality was awful, l changed the speakers for two pairs of Rainbow Sound 10cm drivers in place of the OE rubbish, with tweeters on the dash (there’s nowhere else for them in a Defender) plus a shoe box subwoofer under the passenger seat.

The sound quality and volume is now excellent, passengers comment on the quality.

Total outlay £250 plus installation of course but in the Volvo it would only be the sub that needed wiring up so it shouldn’t cost too much.
michael123

Post by michael123 »

I found one noisy track and then when I play from USB and that's some 24bit/96Khz (money for nothing :) ), but then I think it is a problem in the DSP

I played tons during last year from Spotify on the highest setting without any noise. I have Harman Kardon with Dirac upgrade.
Lightning

Post by Lightning »

Well with the HK system it should be OK

My guess is you have a faulty speaker. Test the speakers one at a time to narrow down where the problem is.

For instance set the fader to front, then the balance to left, to test the left front speaker.

There may be a centre speaker or a sub which will make it harder to do, but you should be able to narrow it down.