R Design paddles

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
johnd

Post by johnd »

Quick pre-purchase question for R-Design owners re paddles:

Do the paddles work OK in auto mode (ie or do you need to put the gearbox in manual mode first?). I'm guessing the paddles work in all situations but it would be good to know for sure.

And a couple of supplementaries:

I've seen a couple of review comments that the changes aren't very quick when using paddles - is this right/plain wrong?

And if you're in an auto mode and you do use the paddles then normal behaviour would be for the gearbox to switch to manual mode for a period of time (eg 30-60 seconds) so that any further gear changes in this period would need to be done manually, but when the period expires the gears automatically revert to auto mode. Is this how the XC40 works?

Deleted User 1240

Post by Deleted User 1240 »

The paddles do indeed work in auto mode and when used will return to auto mode after a short period or if you keep pulling the paddle for a few seconds. The change back to drive mode is a bit unpredictable and many a time I have embarrassed myself at roundabouts and junctions with it revving out in first gear!!
The changes are a bit sloppy in comfort but better in dynamic drive mode.
I thought it might help on a twisty roads with the throttle delay in comfort mode but it doesn't.
Not sure I would pay any extra to have them.
johnd

Post by johnd »

OK, thanks, that's very helpful. So there's no (known) way of actively returning to auto mode after having used the paddles - you just have to wait for the timeout to expire?
Deleted User 1240

Post by Deleted User 1240 »

You can return to auto mode if you pull the paddle and hold it for a few seconds or I find it easier to pull down on the gear stick twice which puts it into manual the straight back to auto drive mode.