Standard XC 40 Stereo

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
VolvoJane

Post by VolvoJane »

Hi
Close to placing an order for a new XC40 but still not sure about the Hardmon Kardon system, Does anyone have the standard one and would you recommend it or are you wishing you had gone with the HK system
Thanks

hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

I’ve got the standard and think it’s great. I read the problems everyone’s having with the HK one, and very glad I don’t have it. I also had an FE for 48 hours as a test, and remember thinking the HK system sounded muffled, not very clear.

The standard is loud, clear, and balanced.

I do have one speaker that’s distorting, but I’m expecting that to be fixed under warranty. Just struggling with the dealer.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
Flinta

Post by Flinta »

I have the standard and i think its fine.
CelticXC40

Post by CelticXC40 »

Hi
Mine is also the standard one and I think it's fine.
XC40 Inscription pro - T4 - Auto AWD - Pine Grey - Blonde Leather - 19" wheels - Intellisafe pro Pack, Tinted windows, Keyless drive, wireless charging, Xenium pack, Towbar, Spare wheel. Delivered 22nd January 2019.
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

Hi, I agree with all the other replies, it is excellent. I have a BOSE system in my Porsche Boxster, but that is far inferior to the standard XC40 one,
johnd

Post by johnd »

One other comment: I'm a bit deaf in one ear (infection some years ago) - not badly so but enough that I struggle to appreciate good stereo sound, at least not without adjusting the balance etc so that it's only right for me and in one position. I suspect that quite a few others have imperfect hearing too, especially as the years roll on. For me I just don't see any point in specifying a super-spec sound system - I just wouldn't appreciate it!
VolvoJane

Post by VolvoJane »

Thanks for all your helpful comments
Jane
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

I've ordered my R Design with standard stereo and so am delighted with all the above answers. However we haven't heard from anyone with HK - do you think it was worth the money? Personally I had other priorities for options.
Ian333

Post by Ian333 »

I’ve only had my car for 5 days so am not an expert (yet 😉) and have the upgraded HK system which I think is brilliant. It took me a bit to set it up to how I like it but now I think it sounds great and perfectly to my liking.

I can’t compare to a ‘standard’ system though but in my opinion, I think that spending the extra money has been worth it for me.

I also plan to keep the car for some time so I didn’t want to go through the years thinking “ if only I’d got the better stereo...”
Ordered T5 R-Design Pro with most of the bells and whistles in early May ‘18 and received delivery at end of Jan ‘19
Very Happy 😃... especially now it’s Polestarred
Gre

Post by Gre »

I have the HK as well. Not the best system I would say and for sure it could be much better. I have heard the Bower and Wilkens on the XC60 and there is no comparison. Believe if music is very important for you, then you should go with the upgraded HK. If you prefer to add other options with the money available, then spend it somewhere else. You know you can always upgrade your system in the future from a 3rd party options available in case you are not satisfied with the standard system. HK sounds nice with more emphasis on base for some reason. On another note the system doesn’t seem to be 600w as they advertise, it’s a bit low for that, unless I have hearing issues as I’m getting older or due to using a lot of headphones..... ;)
D4 R design FE bright silver 20 wheels.