Standard XC 40 Stereo

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
mattdesign

Post by mattdesign »

I've noticed a massive difference (improvement) when playing audio via Apple CarPlay – both phonecalls and music are much louder, and with better range of sound (deeper bass etc)
XC40 | R-Design Pro | D4 AWD | Black Stone
20" | Xenium | Intellisafe Pro | Convenience | Harman Kardon | Keyless
Gear shift paddles | Wireless charging | Smartphone integration | Power child locks
Ordered 22/05/18 | Delivered 21/01/19

Sventek

Post by Sventek »

I am very disappointed with the HK system. That amount of claimed power through that many speakers should be able to blow the windows out, but it is nowhere near that. The phone is actually quite difficult to hear at times. The only positive I can hear is that it is distortion free - but, then again, it doesn't seem to be powerful enough to distort anything.
mattdesign

Post by mattdesign »

I'd noticed the phone being quiet even when on Maximum volume, but connecting via CarPlay means it is loud enough before even turning volume up.
XC40 | R-Design Pro | D4 AWD | Black Stone
20" | Xenium | Intellisafe Pro | Convenience | Harman Kardon | Keyless
Gear shift paddles | Wireless charging | Smartphone integration | Power child locks
Ordered 22/05/18 | Delivered 21/01/19
q3billy

Post by q3billy »

Sventek wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:02 pm I am very disappointed with the HK system. That amount of claimed power through that many speakers should be able to blow the windows out, but it is nowhere near that. The phone is actually quite difficult to hear at times. The only positive I can hear is that it is distortion free - but, then again, it doesn't seem to be powerful enough to distort anything.
My car's been in for repair so many times regarding the HK system and they always give me non-HK cars to drive and their speakers are far louder.

You're at least lucky yours is distortion free, I've got to go through all the hassle of rejecting my car because I can't deal with the rattles.
R-Design Pro T3 | Bursting Blue | Xenium | Convenience | Intellisafe Pro | Smartphone Integration | Harman/Kardon | Powered Tailgate
Ordered: 04/04/18 | Delivered: 19/11/18 | Sold: 15/02/19

Replaced with: Mercedes-Benz E400 in red
Brandyman

Post by Brandyman »

mattdesign wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:10 pm I'd noticed the phone being quiet even when on Maximum volume, but connecting via CarPlay means it is loud enough before even turning volume up.
Have you turned the bluetooth volume up on your actual phone when connected? That sorted the issue for me.
XC40 D4 Inscription. Onyx Black, Winter Pack, 360 degree Camera, Sensus Connect Premium Sound
Arrived July 4th :)
Mpkid123

Post by Mpkid123 »

I am very happy with the HK upgrade. The sound is amazing and really fills the car with its 13 speakers. No regrets with spending the extra money.
libbers

Post by libbers »

Bit late to this thread, but I got to drive an XC90 with a standard sound system for 4 days this week. This gave me some kind of base to compare my HK system with. In my view, the XC40 HK system is not perfect, but it is markedly better than the standard sound. Whether the upgrade is worth the money or not is subjective, but I'm pleased I opted for it.
T4 R-Design Pro | Bursting Blue | Convinience, Xenium, Intellisafe Surround & HK Sound | Ordered 30 April, Collected 19 December 🎉
simmo

Post by simmo »

VolvoJane wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:22 pm Hi
Close to placing an order for a new XC40 but still not sure about the Hardmon Kardon system, Does anyone have the standard one and would you recommend it or are you wishing you had gone with the HK system
Thanks
Me Ive stuck with the standard its fine two different cars test driven and in both it was more than good quality.
EdK

Post by EdK »

Collected my XC40 today and took it on a fairly long run for a long-planned visit. So far have found the sound from the standard system on FM and DAB radio a disappointment. It’s nothing like as good as on my old V40CC. Admittedly I have not yet had much time to play with settings, equalisers etc but it sounds boxy and lacking in tone, reminding me of a cheap radio from Argos. I am hoping it’s just the settings (I found myself wondering whether the speakers have been set up in phase). I didn’t opt for the HK system because I don’t need 600 watts, just halfway decent sound.
Does anyone have any tips to share?
Inscription Pro T4 in denim blue, ordered 2 Jan 2019, collected 30 March 2019. Intellisafe pro, 360 camera, convenience pack, spare wheel, smartphone integration
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Also picked up mine yesterday.

I really like the standard audio but, then again, I favour sharpness & clarity - not a fan of either softened sound or boomy bass.

It has a bit too much front bias but, other than that, I'm completely happy.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera