Non-Volvo towbar - any issues?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
libbers

Post by libbers »

I’d like to get a towbar fitted, mainly to use a bike carrier once or twice a month. I’m pretty sure I can live without the convenience of deploying and retracting the towbar at a push of a button, so am investigating non-Volvo detachable towbars (which I reckon can get fitted for half the price of the Volvo option).

What I’m unsure about is whether there is likely to be issues with any of the tech the XC40 comes with - particularly the rear cameras, parking sensors, etc. So just wondered if anyone here has fitted a non-manufacturer towbar and if so if any issues were encountered?
T4 R-Design Pro | Bursting Blue | Convinience, Xenium, Intellisafe Surround & HK Sound | Ordered 30 April, Collected 19 December 🎉

hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

I’ve been having a look. On Witter’s website, including fitting for a fixed bar is £650 for me. Not sure how this would affect the rest of the car though. It does state a software update is not needed, and I believe the old wiring method of piggy backing off the rear light cluster is no longer allowed, has to be wired in properly, but I can’t be sure.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

You'll have to turn parking sensors off, I believe that's what the software update does when you have the official one fitted but it does it on the rear only and automatically
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

Volvo one also turns off BLIS and Pilot Assist - not sure if you have those on yours. I had an aftermarket one on my last car and the sensors used to drive me mad, also had the detactable one so it wasn't there all the time. It was a real pain in comparison to the volvo press a button one. It looks a lot of money, but it's only about £300 more to have the convenience of the volvo one.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
libbers

Post by libbers »

Thanks. Just to confirm this - the Volvo towbar automatically disables BLIS, Pilot Assist and rear parking sensors - is that when the towbar is extracted (irrespective of if anything is attached) or only when a trailer or bike carrier is attached?

And presumably there is no such software upgrade that can be made so the car can automatically disabled those features if a 3rd Party detachable towbar is attached?

Hmm something to think about. I'd be inclined to agree that if a 3rd party towbar is going to cost £650-700+, then it probably makes sense to pay a little more and go Volvo. I had in my mind that it would be more like £500, but I'm not entirely sure where I got that figure from. Might have dreamt it.
T4 R-Design Pro | Bursting Blue | Convinience, Xenium, Intellisafe Surround & HK Sound | Ordered 30 April, Collected 19 December 🎉
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

kirsty_s2k wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:20 pm Volvo one also turns off BLIS and Pilot Assist
Reallly?! That's a blow!

I understand BLIS/CTA due to where the sensors are but, losing Pilot Assist is almost enough to make me change my mind about the retractable towbar.

Any idea why?
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

I would guess because towing changes the dynamics of the car’s stealing a lot; just of wind catches the trailer, or the trailer starts fish tailing, that autopilot wouldn’t know how to cope with potentially large and sudden changes of input required.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

Silver Moose wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:02 am
kirsty_s2k wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:20 pm Volvo one also turns off BLIS and Pilot Assist
Reallly?! That's a blow!

I understand BLIS/CTA due to where the sensors are but, losing Pilot Assist is almost enough to make me change my mind about the retractable towbar.

Any idea why?
No, not sure why. Cruise still works, but pilot doesn't which would be consistent with the answer above about making sure the driver is properly in charge of the steering.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
Peter G

Post by Peter G »

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en-se ... 10201/2018

Just for information about how the original towbar works with the rest of the car....
2018 XC40 D4 AWD AUT Black Onyx Momentum First Mover