AUTO light switch - low beam on or off?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
varavital

Post by varavital »

I always have the light switch in the AUTO position. Is there something in this position somewhere in the car (dashboard, lighting of switches ...) on which you can see when the lights are automatically switched from drl to low beam?

In clear but less good weather, such as the light snow of today or in fog you cannot be 100% certain if and when the electronics switch to low beam. In previous cars (other brands) I could see, for example, on the illumination of the buttons of the radio that the low beam was switched on in the AUTO position because at that time the switches were illuminated together with the low beam. In the XC40, 2 light sensors seem to be applicable to me, one that ensures that the switchover to low beam happens, and one that causes the lights in the switches to start working and the sensus and dashboard switch to dark mode. However, these do not seem to work together, I already have noticed that the lighting in the switches was on, but the low beam wasn’t activated (yet) at that moment. And on the dashboard there is only the symbol of the city lights that is lit.

Fortunately, the DRLs stand out well so you probably will be seen, and if you activate the front fog lights the lights also switch to the low beam position at that time, but sometimes it is still useful that you just can see something whereon you can determine if the low beam is switched on automatically if it is not dark yet.

So if someone knows if there’s something whereon you can tell that the lights are switched from drl to low beam (something which really works together with the low beam), without stepping out and looking at the lights, or without driving right behind a vehicle in front of you so you might see it in that reflection, I would be happy to hear it.
The road is more important than the destination.

hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

I haven't found one, except looking at reflections in cars in front. I have found the dipped beams do come on very early, so it's never something I've worried about in the car. Also, the rear lights are always on, so with the brightness of the DLR, and the fact the rear lights are on, there's not a problem in poor weather conditions, such as rain.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
Twin4Me

Post by Twin4Me »

Not totally relevant but when I was commuting on a motorbike to and from London I was always amazed how many new cars with LED running lights would be driven at disk (or later) with the front LED's on and no rear lights. I'd assumed they were on Auto but of course maybe they just didn't bother turning their lights on (like many other drivers)
First Edition in Red - Love the car but love my Ducati Multistrada more...