Internet and Real Time Traffic Info

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
clio55

Post by clio55 »

Hi All, I can see this has been raised in an earlier thread but I am still a little confused! I understood that if my car was connected to my phone via Bluetooth then I would get the RTTI. However, I have been advised that I also need to connect to the hotspot on my mobile phone. As I have not had to do this on my two previous cars I am rather disappointed. As I rely on traffic info on a daily basis I am concerned that if this is the case I will be using up all my mobile phone data allowance or I will need to go to the additional expense of purchasing a data only sim. Can anyone offer any advice on this please?
T4 AWD R Design Auto. Fusion Red, winter pack, rear parking camera, front park assist, sunroof, remote locking

Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

It's something I've only recently become aware of but, as long as your phone allows it, you can get internet via Bluetooth (instead of WiFi hotspot) - doesn't stop you using your data though.

Check your phone manual/settings to make sure it's enabled - how to enable it on your car is covered by the Volvo manual.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
clio55

Post by clio55 »

Hi, thank you for your reply. My phone appears to be connected via Bluetooth, i.e. I can make phone calls and play my music but is there any way of checking whether the car is actually connected to the internet via the Bluetooth?
T4 AWD R Design Auto. Fusion Red, winter pack, rear parking camera, front park assist, sunroof, remote locking
libbers

Post by libbers »

Assuming your phone is setup to share internet through Bluetooth first, there is a checkbox to tick in the sensus settings:

39EBE883-92E5-43CF-8415-C62E3EBC2CAF.jpeg

T4 R-Design Pro | Bursting Blue | Convinience, Xenium, Intellisafe Surround & HK Sound | Ordered 30 April, Collected 19 December 🎉
Brandyman

Post by Brandyman »

clio55 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:42 pm Hi, thank you for your reply. My phone appears to be connected via Bluetooth, i.e. I can make phone calls and play my music but is there any way of checking whether the car is actually connected to the internet via the Bluetooth?
You get the world internet symbol at the top of the screen if it's connected. Usually takes a minute or so to connect.
XC40 D4 Inscription. Onyx Black, Winter Pack, 360 degree Camera, Sensus Connect Premium Sound
Arrived July 4th :)
clio55

Post by clio55 »

Thank you both for your comments. I have ensured the correct Bluetooth settings on the sensus but I still need to switch on the hotspot on my iPhone. Then I get the globe in the corner. Is it right that I also need the hotspot switched on? Thanks again for your help!
mss911

Post by mss911 »

Yes this correct for an Apple iPhone / iOS 12.x you need to have the Personal Hotspot Setting On.
clio55

Post by clio55 »

Thank you mss911 for confirming! Thanks all for your help with this.