Confused about which xc40 to go for

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Davidrosey

Post by Davidrosey »

I have a R-Design T4 AWD. I am currently on 20.7MPG. I gave the car to Volvo to test and they did a 62mile urban (traffic) test and achieved 21MPG. Their brochure claims 40MPG. thats HALF!!! unacceptable. 180miles on a full tank!!! This is going to end with someone in tears and it won't be me. Volvo have my car again to carry out further tests. Not sure what they will find because their technicians have found nothing wrong apart from the fact that what they claim MPG vs what is achieved is no where near. I could accept 5-10% but 50% no chance. Car manufacturers will go out of business just ask VW how their emissions scandal rocked their boat and what it cost them to fix. i know i am not alone here.

Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

That is awful. Is it all city driving? I am so relieved I ordered a D4 after wavering between the two and only went D4 because I couldn't test a T4 and to be honest the salesman advised against T4 because of mpg so he clearly knew there was an issue.
Davidrosey

Post by Davidrosey »

Salmonfisher ... yes pretty much, school run and dropping Mrs at station i would say i do 20 miles on a normal day. We never looked at the D4 because of the recent bad publicity surrounding diesel ... you lucky your salesman was truthful...mine was not. 40mpg he kept saying!! In fact the head of service for Volvo S.Africa is a personal friend of my dad's told him the T4 is a gas guzzler and we will not achieve anything near what the brochure allege...this is gross misrepresentation. If i told you what Volvo Customer service said about the difference you would fall on the floor with laughter....e.g., the roads are bad in North London and it's my driving...seriously!!! Everyone i speak to who drives XC40 and 60 petrol is furious about the attained mpg....i spoke to a guy yesterday who picked up our car and he said he is an expert as he drives so many different cars that the miles i am getting shows there is a serious issue here.
iainrelliott

Post by iainrelliott »

I’ve had my auto AWD T4 for almost 2 months now, and covered around 900 miles. So far I’ve averaged 30.3, howeve probably more mixed driving than others. I always put it in Eco mode though and take it fairly easy on motorways. I’d hate to see the MPG if I ran it in dynamic and put my foot down!
Davidrosey

Post by Davidrosey »

iainrelliott, we took our T4 to Chelmsford and back absolutely no traffic averaged 65pmh the whole way there and back on ECO. i reset my mpg and got 35mpg (volvo claim highway 55-60mpg). since then it has dropped like a stone to 20.7mpg currently. And that was last week!!! we always use eco religiously. Your 30.3 as you said was highways and urban...which is still 40% lower than what they claim. I am afraid to tell you but the T4 is a gas guzzler and its not going to get any better. If you ran it on Dynamic, you would have to buy your local petrol station and allocate a pump just to your car because you would be there every few days ha ha ....
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

I tried my D4 FE on Dynamic for a few days but quickly switched it back to Comfort ( Eco doesn't seem to make any difference over Comfort )
On comfort I was averaging 34-35mpg for my daily commute, on dynamic it went down to 23-24mpg!
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
simmo

Post by simmo »

haf63 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:43 am AM looking to get a new/nearly-new car later this year (for the long term) and really like the look of the xc40 but a couple of things are making me hesitate
1. I would like to go for the first edition model (1 year old) but they seem to be holding their value really well so no great deals
2. I have been reading the MPG thread and its making me nervous with the rates achieved. I started out thinking D4 but there is a lot of controversy over diesel and I dont want to end up regretting it in a few years. I then switched to T4 but the mpg seems terrible according to the mpg thread.

The other option I am considering is the new Evoque as thast getting good reviews and I also considered the E-Pace and new Q3 but not sure.
My current car is an i3 which i really like and believe that the future is electric - its just that i can't see it being viable as a private car for a few more years while range etc gets resolved (and prices). I looked at hybrids but that just seems like 2 lots of components to go wrong.

Very difficult to make any kind of long term decision at the moment so will see if things get clearer in next 6 months before i have to buy something.
Hi new car horrendous iv been looking for months, VW TRoc nice to drive the 1ltr under powered the 1.5 engine with cylinder shut down is fraught with problems see T Roc Forum, worse the same Engine is used in the Seat , Skoda Audi Q2 and 3 VW range. Kangarros and power failure cars being rejected.

Electric to early, Battery replacement cost Life probably 6 to 8 years if your lucky battery replacement 6 to 9k then what take it in for part exchange and be told the crusher is over there sir, Battery can not be made quick enough, Take the new Rav 4 Hybrid Looks like the XC40, 41 Mpg motor way I got 38 on a test drive with the Petrol T3 CX40 driving very delicately but thats what I got.

Diesel is becoming Taboo with more city center's taking about imposing charges for Diesels wrongly so in my book, if you do short journeys petrol is probably best 3 cylinder. My Choice, beware VW only engines, I would choose is the vw 1ltr if any but under powered for big car it will have to work hard and economy suffer. Hope this helps. Personal choice.
Volvo XC40

Post by Volvo XC40 »

I have a D3 R design with 360 camera, blindspot, and panoramic. The stock sound system has a fine quality. Engine is not loud as other automakers and the sound with turbo sounds great!
Fuel consumption is pretty good with an average of 5lt/100km in highway and around 8-12 in city driving.
I would go for a diesel XC40 since consumption is low and maintenance cost are lower too, no need to wait for the XC40 Hybrid. I was in the same dilemma but diesels are pretty great and EVs have a lot of issues to overcome in order to be more efficient.
VolvoXC40|D3|R-Design|Crystal White|Pan Roof
Goldfish

Post by Goldfish »

I have the MY20 price & specification, the T4 AWD auto fuel consumption based on the new WLTP standard is 32.8-35.3 mpg combined while the same for D4 is 39.8-44.1 mpg.