Confused about which xc40 to go for

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
haf63

Post by haf63 »

AM looking to get a new/nearly-new car later this year (for the long term) and really like the look of the xc40 but a couple of things are making me hesitate
1. I would like to go for the first edition model (1 year old) but they seem to be holding their value really well so no great deals
2. I have been reading the MPG thread and its making me nervous with the rates achieved. I started out thinking D4 but there is a lot of controversy over diesel and I dont want to end up regretting it in a few years. I then switched to T4 but the mpg seems terrible according to the mpg thread.

The other option I am considering is the new Evoque as thast getting good reviews and I also considered the E-Pace and new Q3 but not sure.
My current car is an i3 which i really like and believe that the future is electric - its just that i can't see it being viable as a private car for a few more years while range etc gets resolved (and prices). I looked at hybrids but that just seems like 2 lots of components to go wrong.

Very difficult to make any kind of long term decision at the moment so will see if things get clearer in next 6 months before i have to buy something.

johnd

Post by johnd »

TBH I'm surprised that anyone used to an EV is considering going back to a fossil car - difficult to imagine that you wouldn't be disappointed with the performance and the overall result. The Hyundai Kona and Kia E-Niro (essentially the same full-EV car but with the e-Niro having a somewhat larger body, but maybe a slightly less desirable package) both seem to review well and have decent (250 mile) range. Only problem with them is the long wait times.
haf63

Post by haf63 »

I think in 2-3 years there will be a decent choice of EV's with decent range and at a decent price - at the moment the SUV ev's are ridiculously priced - from the big manufaurers at least. I've never even looked at Kia as my last 4 cars have been german + jag and I do appreciate the extra quality and detail they provide
Davidrosey

Post by Davidrosey »

haf63, BE VERY CAREFUL!!! the T4 is per Volvo a gas guzzler and you will not achieve anything near what the brochure says. We are getting 100% LESS than what was told to us. I am merely passing on my opinion and information i have received
johnd

Post by johnd »

haf63 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:43 am I think in 2-3 years there will be a decent choice of EV's with decent range and at a decent price - at the moment the SUV ev's are ridiculously priced - from the big manufaurers at least. I've never even looked at Kia as my last 4 cars have been german + jag and I do appreciate the extra quality and detail they provide
I do know what you mean and it's one of the reasons that I'm looking hard at the XC40. I have had a deposit on an I-Pace, but rather reluctantly (it's a great car) after a lot of soul-searching and for a bunch of contributory reasons have decided not to proceed with it, for now at least.

So the connection with XC40 is that the XC40 full EV seems to be being prepared for launch, but still maybe 12-15 months (as a best guess for now) away from first delivery. My thinking is that getting a T5 now will get me back used to the Volvo way of doing things, dealerships etc and I'll be ready to jump to the EV (assuming it lives up to its billing, eg decent performance & range, 4WD etc) as soon as it makes sense to do so.
haf63

Post by haf63 »

Davidrosey wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:55 am haf63, BE VERY CAREFUL!!! the T4 is per Volvo a gas guzzler and you will not achieve anything near what the brochure says. We are getting 100% LESS than what was told to us. I am merely passing on my opinion and information i have received
Yes I am getting that feeling reading various forums/reviews and given i will be high mileage (15k+) and over 50% of that will be inner city, fuel consumption is an important factor for me.

I am nervous about spending 30-40k on a D4 and then be looking at a ful EV within 2-3 years. If i was confident that Diesel will be ok for next 5 years then i may be more tempted but with my home city of birmingham already looking at low emissions zone around the centre, i could end up regretting the diesel choice.

A backup option maybe to buy someing like a cheap used 320d which is super reliable and efficient and then come back to EV in a couple of years.. Not my first choice really but may be forced in that dierction while the industry sorts itself out..
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Or don't rush in and wait for the hybrid xc40 that will shortly be announced/available I believe
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
haf63

Post by haf63 »

Blastpipe wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:22 am Or don't rush in and wait for the hybrid xc40 that will shortly be announced/available I believe
Am not sure about hybrids as they seem to be a stop-gap to full electric and maybe overtaken quite quickly. The general comment to 'wait it out' does seem the best strategy right now
johnd

Post by johnd »

haf63 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:54 am The general comment to 'wait it out' does seem the best strategy right now
But isn't it the case that there's ALWAYS a better model on the horizon and about 6 months away from launch (and often 12 months away from actual customer delivery)?
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Never thought of hybrids as a good idea. They have to carry around all of the extra weight and moving parts that the combustion engine requires.
Full electric has the weight of the battery granted, but a motor at each wheel cuts down on the drive shaft, gearbox etc. Got to be the way to go surely...
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.