Internet connectivity via bluetooth

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Hi, good folks of this forum. Have just signed up (see Introductions) & have a quick question:

Not being a fan of having to keep phone hotspot on all the time, nor having to remember to turn it on every time I enter the car, I was all set up to buy a data SIM for my new car when it arrives. However, I noticed that the XC40 can offer internet connectivity via bluetooth if your phone allows it (mine does).

Does anyone here use this option? Is it reliable? Any observations/recommendations?

P.S: Android user so not bothered by the Carplay/Bluetooth limitations.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera

varavital

Post by varavital »

See (among others) this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=999
The road is more important than the destination.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

varavital wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:15 am See (among others) this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=999
Thanks for quick reply.

I had already seen that post but not sure whether it addressed internet via bluetooth specifically.

@mss911 was possibly using it - not 100% sure from the way posts were worded.

Thought I'd start a separate post re bluetooth internet connectivity as it's all new to me & wondered whether there might be any issues (previous post was mainly SIM vs WiFi hotspot).......apologies if my 1st post steps on any toes ;)
Real name Carl
Bright Silver/Charcoal
varavital

Post by varavital »

I only use internet via bluetooth in my XC40. A specific sim just for internet in the car is way to expensive here in Belgium. And even with only 1Gb data om my phone it's enough for Rtti trafic, album covers to show up with my music on usb stick, android auto and others. Only if you want to stream music constantly, you'll need more Gb.
I've had no problem whatshoever with internet via bluetooth over my phone. I just use the app Blue Car Tethering to automatically let the car connect to the internet through my phone. The tethering is mentionned in another thread somewhere. Best just do a search on tethering within the forum.
The road is more important than the destination.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

varavital wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:11 pm I only use internet via bluetooth in my XC40. A specific sim just for internet in the car is way to expensive here in Belgium. And even with only 1Gb data om my phone it's enough for Rtti trafic, album covers to show up with my music on usb stick, android auto and others. Only if you want to stream music constantly, you'll need more Gb.
I've had no problem whatshoever with internet via bluetooth over my phone. I just use the app Blue Car Tethering to automatically let the car connect to the internet through my phone. The tethering is mentionned in another thread somewhere. Best just do a search on tethering within the forum.
Brilliant!

Thank you so much for taking the time to flesh out your reply.

I always have my phone/car connect to Bluetooth automatically so, if the internet connection works flawlessly, that's some money saved on a SIM (my phone will let me permanently allow internet connection via Bluetooth so no need for a separate app for me [Huawei P20 Pro]).

I have more than enough allowance on my phone for my needs - just didn't fancy the hotspot kerfuffle.
Real name Carl
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Brandyman

Post by Brandyman »

I use internet via bluetooth in the UK. No problem at all.
XC40 D4 Inscription. Onyx Black, Winter Pack, 360 degree Camera, Sensus Connect Premium Sound
Arrived July 4th :)
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Brandyman wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:40 pm I use internet via bluetooth in the UK. No problem at all.
Thanks for confirmation
Real name Carl
Bright Silver/Charcoal
cat1978

Post by cat1978 »

That’s is all really useful & something I have been looking at recently.
I had been using the internet via Hotspot. However just reading that keeping it on and it permanently using 4g rather than WiFi has just made me realise how much more data it is using.
I have just looked on the Volvo manual & it looks like while using Hotspot you can change the settings to use Bluetooth internet instead & i assume then take off hotspot. I will be trying this tomorrow!
I have hopefully attached a screenshot off the instructions to do this.

5D6AA06E-C761-4A87-B1EE-98F9B7B9031B.png

XC40 Inscription Pro Denim Blue, ordered early May, expected end of October.
Received on time & collected early November :P
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

cat1978 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:24 pm I had been using the internet via Hotspot. However just reading that keeping it on and it permanently using 4g rather than WiFi has just made me realise how much more data it is using.
Also really hammers the battery leaving hotspot on.

You might find you need to switch on a phone setting to allow this to work - on mine it's under >Settings>Wireless & networks>Tethering & portable hotspot>Bluetooth tethering
Real name Carl
Bright Silver/Charcoal