Google Earth

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
johnd

Post by johnd »

On VW group satnav systems where a data SIM is also fitted/enabled there's usually an option to display satnav maps as Google Earth maps, ie with a photographic aerial view background. But I can't spot any similar option for the Sensus system. Is it simply not available (which does seem like a missed opportunity) or have I missed it somewhere in the specs?

I do appreciate that Carplay potentially provides an alternative route to achieving this, but I'm not asking about that.

Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Google have changed the way car manufacturers have to implement Google Earth (probably also involves talk of money :) ) so most of V.A.G. no longer offer it.........those who already have the functionality will lose it by week 48 next year. I say 'most' as I'd find it odd if Audi didn't keep jumping through the hoops, as it's such an important selling point for them.......though some say Audi will also drop it eventually.

I suspect Google Earth will be an integral part of Android Automotive (not to be confused with Android Auto), which will be the new operating system on future Volvos. My dealer reckons Volvo will offer it as an upgrade to existing cars (but they always say that when they want you to order NOW :) ) but, I have my doubts........it's a complete replacement of the operating system & I'm not sure that Volvo would be that brave (or daft).

Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

I sincerely hope it’s not thrust upon us!! I don’t even use google for search.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

hdasmith wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:18 pm I sincerely hope it’s not thrust upon us!! I don’t even use google for search.
Don't worry..........it would be illegal to force it on you if you don't agree to their terms............Google it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Real name Carl
Bright Silver/Charcoal
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

:lol:
Ordered 11th May 2018
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Unfortunately, "DuckDuckGoing" it does't roll of the tongue in the same way!
Ordered 11th May 2018
johnd

Post by johnd »

@Silver Moose: OK thanks for the info. My Macan still has it and doing without would feel like a big backward step now. But certainly there have been GE wrinkles this past year, though word in the forums was that these had been resolved, certainly as far as Porsche were concerned. Must say that these online services enabled via a separate data SIM do seem very hit and miss - GE is the only app that I personally find of any interest/use. Maybe that will change in future?

Interesting also that XC40 is being used to demo the new Google carOS, kind of suggests that availability might not be too far away and with the XC40 MY20 seemingly only 5-6 months away then conceivably that might be a launch option. Or maybe it will be reserved for the XC40 full EV?
Last edited by johnd on Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Yep, I believe that MY20 will see the arrival of the new OS. Hope it's merely an option - seems commercial suicide to impose Google on customers!

I'm actually one of those weird people for whom Google Earth has a practical use - I help set up courses for charity events & often find myself on site at 5:00 a.m. trying to orient myself from a printed (GE) map.

GE itself is generally less essential these days as Google Maps allows a satellite view for all - any other car & it wouldn't matter as Android Auto is your answer. It's just a shame that AA seems the poor relation on anything with a portrait screen - I'd be at the front of the queue if the 'upgrade' was offered - otherwise I'd just revert to using Google Maps on my phone when trying to orient off-road.
Real name Carl
Bright Silver/Charcoal
johnd

Post by johnd »

Yes, sorry, that was me being lazy - I do mean an aerial photographic overlay, whether that be from conventional aircraft or satellite. It just always seems to have been referred to as GE in common usage in various forums etc and rightly or wrongly even if GE was the origin.

And do I wonder if many people will realise that Android will be the new OS - that will be pretty well hidden I suspect, much as it is on TVs - don't all Sony smart TVs (which I guess must be almost all of them) now run Android as the OS? How many Sony buyers realise that and also recognise the link with Google? And how much might it put them off anyway. other than the functional pros and cons of Android vs Tizen vs WebOS vs Firefox etc?

XC40 users will presumably only notice the UI which won't give much away about the underlying OS. I don't know too much about car computing architecture, which I presume is made up of multiple modules, with one of them running a real-time OS to handle all the car dynamics etc. But for the infotainment, climate controls etc etc these must all already be controlled by some CPU running a defined OS. I doubt that Volvo went to the trouble of writing their own OS - it's presumably perhaps Windows CE or maybe another flavour of Linux 'under the hood' currently.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

johnd wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:03 am
And do I wonder if many people will realise that Android will be the new OS - that will be pretty well hidden I suspect, much as it is on TVs - don't all Sony smart TVs (which I guess must be almost all of them) now run Android as the OS? How many Sony buyers realise that and also recognise the link with Google? And how much might it put them off anyway. other than the functional pros and cons of Android vs Tizen vs WebOS vs Firefox etc?
I for one realise it, it’s the reason I stopped buying Sony TVs!
IMHO Android OS is the work of the devil, all it does is slow everything down to a snails pace and take away long established proven “best practice” ways of doing things. If that’s the way Volvo is going then unless they work a miracle with the UI my XC40 will be my first and last Volvo.
Happy New Year!
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.