Google Earth

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Hi John, the current system is based on Blackberry’s QNX from what I read, but can’t remember where.

Like Rufleman, I specifically wouldn’t buy an Android TV, and wouldn’t buy another Volvo if I had to have Android Automotive installed. I just don’t trust Google - look at the money flow.

When I buy a car, I expect to be the customer, not the companies buying the data about which car parks I use, and what time, and what it costs, or which shops I buy from for which.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018

be0ne

Post by be0ne »

Android embedded version (like on TVs) is not that bad. It all depends on the hardware that runs it and the talent of the ingeneers in charge of the integration. I reckon the OS requires a decent SOC and amount of RAM though.

Regarding the data collection and use/resell, don't fool yourself. All manufacturers monetise all the data they can whether the system is QNX based (which comes from the now dead RIM) or android based.

If you're not ok with that, you can still use a feature phone instead of a smartphone and a basic car with basic infotainment system.

By the way, did you remember accepting the Terms of services in your XC40 the first time you've used the Sensus system ? :)
XC40 T3 R-Design (+packs & options) ordered in March - delivered August.
Felim_Doyle

Post by Felim_Doyle »

Silver Moose wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:10 am Yep, I believe that MY20 will see the arrival of the new OS. Hope it's merely an option - seems commercial suicide to impose Google on customers!
Surely car manufacturers imposing iOS and Microsoft Windows based infotainment systems on customers is madness when the majority of mobile devices (phones, tablets etc.) are Google Android based?!

I find it extremely annoying when plugging my phone into the USB connector of our current and previous Volvos to receive a message stating that the car is incompatible with the most popular mobile operating system known to man whereas iOS is niche and Windows for mobile devices is dead. Thankfully Nokia has freed itself from the shackles of that disastrous period in its history.

If there are issues with Google CarOS then working with more automotive manufacturers can only improve it so long as it doesn't end up being a horse designed by a committee! :roll:

Design by committee - Wikipedia
Félim
Buckinghamshire, UK