Auto Volume Increase/Decrease

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
iainrelliott

Post by iainrelliott »

I may be mistaken, but I dont notice the volume of audio increasing or decreasing dependent on your speed. I haven't found anywhere in the menu to set this. Am I missing something? Similarly, when starting the car, the audio comes on at the same volume as where I left it. I often forget I was listening quite 'enthusiastically' to something when I was last in the car, and get a real shock when I start it back up a few days later!

Are there any menus where this kind of thing can be set?

morrishey

Post by morrishey »

The speed dependent volume is something that’s been baffling me, too. I definitely have to manually adjust as it gets faster, but I’m sure I remember reading somewhere it should auto adjust
XC40 T5 FE, Fusion Red, 20inch wheels.
Ordered 15th March. Delivery, originally June, delivered 26th October.
NKXC40

Post by NKXC40 »

I have the HK system in my FE and I am convinced that the auto volume does not work correctly, in fact I now turn the volume down when I park the car because I know it will be too loud next time I start the car. I have been unable to find anywhere to adjust the response of the auto volume.

The interesting thing is that if I adjust the volume to a comfortable level at 65-70mph and then slow down and stop and turn the car off the volume appears to have been reduced automatically. It is then when I next start the car the volume is too loud almost as if it has defaulted to the volume level that was set at 65-70 mph, hence I now reduce the volume when I turn the car off and then it is fine when I next start the car.
D4 AWD First Edition Crystal White. 19” Wheels. No headlamp wash. Delivered 8th June after 16 weeks.
Twin4Me

Post by Twin4Me »

Likewise this has been frustrating me, for a premium HK system it seems very poor and doesn't change at all.
The system on my old 3 Series BMW was considerably better at changing the volume depending on speed

If anyone finds a solution let me know!
First Edition in Red - Love the car but love my Ducati Multistrada more...
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

Twin4Me wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:10 pm Likewise this has been frustrating me, for a premium HK system it seems very poor and doesn't change at all.
The system on my old 3 Series BMW was considerably better at changing the volume depending on speed

Same here - it doesn't seem to do anything to increase/decrease based on speed. I find I always have to manually increase when I get onto motorway and decrease when I come off again.
My last car (focus with upgraded sound system) did at least alter a reasonable amount based on speed. My bug bear with it though was the vast jump in noise or each number on volume . . . I always wanted a 7.5 rather than 7 or 8 on the scale :p
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
q3billy

Post by q3billy »

kirsty_s2k wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:50 pm
Twin4Me wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:10 pm Likewise this has been frustrating me, for a premium HK system it seems very poor and doesn't change at all.

Same here - it doesn't seem to do anything to increase/decrease based on speed. I find I always have to manually increase when I get onto motorway and decrease when I come off again.
My last car (focus with upgraded sound system) did at least alter a reasonable amount based on speed. My bug bear with it though was the vast jump in noise or each number on volume . . . I always wanted a 7.5 rather than 7 or 8 on the scale :p
Same thing on my last Focus, also had the Sony system. My other half has a Mondeo with the Sony system and also adjusts with speed but Ford stereos are more powerful so I guess that's why there's more of a jump in volume.
R-Design Pro T3 | Bursting Blue | Xenium | Convenience | Intellisafe Pro | Smartphone Integration | Harman/Kardon | Powered Tailgate
Ordered: 04/04/18 | Delivered: 19/11/18 | Sold: 15/02/19

Replaced with: Mercedes-Benz E400 in red
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

q3billy wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:00 pm
kirsty_s2k wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:50 pm

Same thing on my last Focus, also had the Sony system. My other half has a Mondeo with the Sony system and also adjusts with speed but Ford stereos are more powerful so I guess that's why there's more of a jump in volume.
Both flawed really (focus & xc) :(
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
q3billy

Post by q3billy »

I just came across this online so I thought I'd show you all. Apparently it does adjust for speed (Harman Kardon system at least) I haven't noticed it on mine though.
Although to be fair I've barely had any music playing due to how bad it sounds.

Screenshot_20181224-141608_Chrome.jpg

R-Design Pro T3 | Bursting Blue | Xenium | Convenience | Intellisafe Pro | Smartphone Integration | Harman/Kardon | Powered Tailgate
Ordered: 04/04/18 | Delivered: 19/11/18 | Sold: 15/02/19

Replaced with: Mercedes-Benz E400 in red
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

I do seem to get autovolume working, although subtle, on my standard system.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
verao1975

Post by verao1975 »

I have a Harman Kardon audio system and it is working although requires an effort to recognize it.
T4 AT8 AWD Inscription Ice White Blond Leather :D