Sudden loss of power

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Taff

Post by Taff »

Had a scary experience today, had driven about six miles, pulled up to a roundabout went to accelerate away into a gap in traffic and wow total loss of acceleration, car was still idling but would not accelerate, it started juddering then all of a sudden the power came back, must have been around a twenty second pause.

Has anyone else experienced this, Inscription D3 diesel Automatic.

Oh fuel tank was three quarters full. :D
Ordered XC40 D3 Inscription Automatic, Pine Grey, Charcoal Leather, Winter Pack, Rear Parking Camera, Tempra Spare Wheel. (Ordered 23/5/18) Delivered 20th September 2018.

mss911

Post by mss911 »

I had this once until I realized I'd inadvertently activate the speed limiter .... doh
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Particularly if you have the auto speed limiter on which reads the road signs and might pick up a lower speed limit on a side road .
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Taff

Post by Taff »

Thanks for suggestions, but no it was not turned on, and the roundabout was on an unrestricted road at the time, very strange.

Taking car in on Thursday for 3 month check and a couple of jobs so will get them to check onboard computer for any failure notices.
Ordered XC40 D3 Inscription Automatic, Pine Grey, Charcoal Leather, Winter Pack, Rear Parking Camera, Tempra Spare Wheel. (Ordered 23/5/18) Delivered 20th September 2018.
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

Taff wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:56 am Thanks for suggestions, but no it was not turned on, and the roundabout was on an unrestricted road at the time, very strange.

Taking car in on Thursday for 3 month check and a couple of jobs so will get them to check onboard computer for any failure notices.
Hi Taff, taking my D3 in for check next week. After 1700 miles, my AdBlue level seems to have hardly changed. How's yours please?
samispade

Post by samispade »

Not the same situation as you but a similar effect.

Last week I was in a packed car park trying to find a space. Other cars were parked on edges or anywhere possible. After driving around for several minutes saw a spot where I would have to reverse over a kerb and park on a slight muddy bank in front of another car with a hedge on the side. While reversing the parking sensors were flashing red so I decided to get out and have a look. My passenger got out as well and we decided that we couldn't get far enough in to park so would have to look elsewhere. When I tried to drive forward, neither of us having put our seatbelts back on, the car wouldn't move but just juddered and almost seemed to buck. Quite alarming. My first thoughts were that the rear wheels being on mud were just slipping and if this was AWD then no thank-you. Noticing that the seatbelt warnings in the display were red, we both put the seatbelts on and then everything was normal and were able to drive off.
XC40 FE Crystal White T5 no headlight washers 19" wheels. Ordered 2nd March. Delivered 26th April
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

samispade wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:28 pm Not the same situation as you but a similar effect.

Last week I was in a packed car park trying to find a space. Other cars were parked on edges or anywhere possible. After driving around for several minutes saw a spot where I would have to reverse over a kerb and park on a slight muddy bank in front of another car with a hedge on the side. While reversing the parking sensors were flashing red so I decided to get out and have a look. My passenger got out as well and we decided that we couldn't get far enough in to park so would have to look elsewhere. When I tried to drive forward, neither of us having put our seatbelts back on, the car wouldn't move but just juddered and almost seemed to buck. Quite alarming. My first thoughts were that the rear wheels being on mud were just slipping and if this was AWD then no thank-you. Noticing that the seatbelt warnings in the display were red, we both put the seatbelts on and then everything was normal and were able to drive off.
The parking brake won't release automatically if you aren't wearing your safety belt (it is a Volvo after all!). You either have to release the brake manually or put your belt on.
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
Taff

Post by Taff »

ACertainAge wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:03 pm
Taff wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:56 am Thanks for suggestions, but no it was not turned on, and the roundabout was on an unrestricted road at the time, very strange.

Hi Taff, taking my D3 in for check next week. After 1700 miles, my AdBlue level seems to have hardly changed. How's yours please?
Mine has dropped one notch on the scale doing 1947 miles, much better than my last Audi.
towarl0

Post by towarl0 »

Hi Taff

Wondering if you managed to get this resolved? The first time this happened to me I was overtaking on a country lane - scary biscuits. It happens to me almost daily (just for a split second but enough time to lose speed) but the volvo garages can't find a fault code so in their words it is "OK". I've tried explaining that - just because it doesn't show a fault code doesn't mean it isn't potentially fatal in some situations. Seems computer says no! A bit disappointing for my first brand new car and first volvo ...
VolvoHC

Post by VolvoHC »

Hi, I've been having this problem also, my car is in the local volvo atm, they have told me that VOLVO know of a software issue but do not have the update available yet but they say the car is "safe to drive" I'm totally not happy with this as I get a real fright everytime it happens. My car is also a mobility car for my daughter, I'm waiting for customer relations getting back to me but I just wondered if anyone has taken this further?